Say Something

"I need your help."

Eliott stood in my doorway when I woke up the next morning, looking as if he'd been standing there for hours contemplating whether he should wake me or not. He was still in his plaid pajama set that made him look like he was six rather than sixteen.

"Help?" I grumbled, rolling over and burying my face in my pillow, "With what?"

"I know you got your learners permit a couple weeks ago," he started, "and I really need to learn how to drive before July."

Something told me his sudden interest in learning to drive had to do with a girl.

"Ask one of the triplets. They actually have a license." I responded into my pillow.

I was exhausted and wasn't in any mood to deal with my brother's attitude when it came to not being able to pick up certain things as quickly as he should. I had gone through it a couple years ago when I taught Eliott and Ethan to cook. Ethan had excelled; he became an even better cook than I was and had a heart for cooking now. Eliott hadn't latched on to the instructions as quickly, and had screamed repeatedly until he finally got it right.

"About that," I heard Eliott draw out his words, "the boys kind of already think I have a license."

"Why is that?" I questioned, rolling back over on my back and rubbing my stomach. Eliott bowed his head shamefully.

"Because I told them I did." he mumbled.

"And you want me, your sixteen year old sister, to teach you to drive when I can barely do it myself?" he nodded, "What's her name?"

His cheeks immediately flushed, "I don't know what you mean."

"Eliott."

"Her name is Roni." he sighed in defeat.

"She wants you to drive?" I guessed. He shook his head.

"No. I. . . there's this weird summer dance thing at her camp and she asked me to it. I'm supposed to drive her back home at the end of it."

"And you don't want to embarrass yourself by not being able to drive?" I finished. He didn't answer, but reached back and scratched the back of his head.

"Yeah. So can you help me?" I was already going to give in before he turned his pleading eyes on me.

"You, my idiot brother, are lucky I love you."

*

I checked my phone for a message from Toby periodically all day. Teaching my brother to drive had been a lot less painful than I though it'd be. He picked up on most of the instruction and lectures I gave him fairly quickly, which gave me a little insight on just how much my brother liked this girl. Any girl that had one of my brothers bending over backwards to impress her better be worth it.

"How'd I do?" Eliott questioned, a hopeful look in his eyes.

"Great, actually." I slapped my hand on his shoulder, "Now you're just going to have to ask Aliyah to teach you how to drive it and you'll be ready to go."

He paused, and spun around suddenly, taking me in his arms and hugging me before I could get a word out.

"Thank you, Alex." he whispered. It wasn't every day I got hugged by one of my brother's, I wasn't sure how to feel about it.

"Eww, Eli. Why are you hugging me?" my brother laughed, ruffling my hair on our way back up to the house.

"You sound like Ethan. He thinks I'm too sensitive. I think he's too moronic to even know what that means." Eliott rubbed his hands against his face as he spoke.