Pocket Full Of Sunshine

"I found your mother." a cross of excitement and confusion settled in his eyes.

I opened my mouth, shutting it seconds later when I realized I hadn't broken my aunt's news to Toby. He had absolutely no idea that I had technically found her too.

"She's in a rehabilitation center in New York." He waved a manila folder in the small gap between us. "I thought it'd be a great birthday present. Didn't know you're entire family would be here though."

I could hear the hurt that had replaced the excitement in his voice; I didn't need to look up at face it too. Prying the file from his hands, I decided it was best to let him have the satisfaction of thinking he'd found her before I did. It was the least I could do for being such a bad friend.

"This is great, Tobias! Thank you!" I exclaimed, shifting on the bench I was sitting on.

He dropped his hands to his sides, "You already knew."

It wasn't a question, and I didn't have to lift my head again to know there was disappointment in his eyes.

"Eleanor called me last night. She explained everything." I opened the folder on my lap, "She didn't get into detail or tell me where my mother was, but she said she was going to fly me out so I can meet her."

He fell into the empty spot beside me and laid his head against the wall, "I'm sorry. I don't have a present and-"

"I should be the one apologizing. I didn't invite you here today and I should have. You're my best friend and deserved to be here as much as Griffin did. I don't need a present, I'm not six anymore, Toby."

He brushed the back of his hand across my cheek, "You've grown so much in the last couple months."

"What do you mean?" I didn't know whether to be flattered or offended.

"You've matured, mentally, I mean." I watched his cheeks flush as he stumbled with his words.

"Thank you." I leaned against him and rested my head against his shoulder, "I think."

*

I toyed with the thought of telling Evan about our mother before leaving; I just had to do it once my brothers were gone. If I had it my way, I would tell them all at once and hope that they accepted it without confusion. I'd learned over the last couple months that wanting things to happen my way usually didn't turn out exactly how I planned them too.

Waiting for Jace to close the door behind him, I offered Griffin a small smile and turned to my twin, "I've got some exciting news."

"You brought more cupcakes?" He questioned, eyebrows raised.

"I wish." I laughed, "We found Mom."

I don't know what I expected of Evan. I hadn't thought far enough to wonder whether or not he wanted to meet her in the first place. There was a slight probability that he wanted absolutely nothing to do with her.

"Oh." he eventually croaked, leaning back into the pillows Griffin had made sure to help fluff.

My smile slowly began to fade when I saw the sad and vacant look cross my brother's face.

"You aren't happy." I whispered.

"No, no. I am. It's just. . . she didn't want us in the first place, Alex. She left me for dead and gave you up. If she were a real mother, a good one, she would have tried reaching out to us over the years. Hell, if she was a good mother she wouldn't have left us in the first place."