Just Open Your Eyes

I sat with my back pressed against the bedroom door, the palm of my hand taking permanent residency over my mouth. Luke sat opposite of me, his eyes shut as he listened to the repetitive door slamming coming from the triplets room across the hall.

The shouting downstairs had been nonstop for the last hour and a half, shifting from Aliyah to my father, then to Ethan and Eliott as they tried to break them up. I had given up entirely on trying to block it out; now it was nothing more than nearly nonexistent background noise.

I couldn't say the same about Lucas. He was squirming where he sat, lips curled back, hands against the ground and ready to push up. He was moments away from throwing me over his shoulder so he could get out of the room.

"I'm going to New York this weekend." Lucas finally spoke for the first time all morning. A dull ache spread through my chest as my mind registered what that meant.

He was going to go see Katrina and his daughter, possibly even enjoy it there and would want to move. He'd be even further away for me at a time when I needed him to most. But there was no bitterness or anger in me as I offered my brother a tight smile.

"That's cool." I heard a door slam loudly downstairs the same time I spoke.

"I want to meet Kaelyn. Maybe. . . maybe there's a way Kat and I can work through everything and get back together too. For our daughter." he was resting his head back against the wall, peering at me through half shut eyelids.

"I think that would be great, Luke. I'm glad Kat let you know about her now and you're going to try and be a great father." I rested my chin on my crossed arms, "You don't really need to try, though. You'll be an awesome dad."

A bitter smile tugged at his lips, "You think so?"

"You're a great guy, Luke. Of course you'll be a great father." I heard the sound of light footsteps nearing my door. I could hear the heavy breathing of the person on the other end before a light knock followed.

I pushed off the ground, too exhausted to make sure I looked decent for whoever was behind the door. Opening it, I was immediately greeted by crystal blue eyes that had been in my thoughts for the last couple days.

"Toby!" I threw myself into his unexpecting arms and sent him stumbling back and out of my room, his laugh vibrating through his chest.

"I missed you too, Lex." he kissed the top of my head before breaking away and taking in my zombie-like appearance. "I'm sorry for not getting back. I was at the airport all day yesterday waiting for my relatives. My phone was off and I fell asleep the second my head hit the pillow."

I nodded, shaking my head to myself, "It's fine, Toby. I'm just glad you're okay."

"But you clearly aren't." He said, "Which is why I'm so glad I'll be able to cheer you up."

"That's going to be hard." I whispered, forcing a smile. He waved off my answer, but Luke popped into the conversation before he could speak up again.

"No kissing. I am not okay with being here when you do that." Luke shuddered, then gestured for Toby to go on from where he was leaning against the door frame.

"You know how my mom always has people coming in and out of the hospital, right? Well, yesterday she helped the manager of the 49ers and he gave her a ton of passes to check out the stadium and get some stuff signed. I thou-" before Toby could finish what he was saying, Jace threw his door open and raced across the hall.

"You have to give me one of those passes!" my brother demanded, mouth hanging open.

"Hands off me, man." Toby shrugged my brother's hands off and turned back to me, "She also gave me some money just for the hell of it and I bought you something."