Seventeen Wishes

I would be in absolute denial if I claimed I didn't enjoy my brothers bowing down to my every need and desire.

The second I woke up the morning after the Fourth, Jace was insistent on helping me down stairs and making breakfast; something he hadn't ever offered. Considering it was likely half of my brothers, Jason included, would burn the house to the ground if they stepped into the kitchen, I was against the thought of him trying to cook anything.

His strange behavior was only partially induced by my injury; he wasn't going to let it go that today was my birthday and I couldn't walk. He took most of his anger out on Toby and Griffin; both of which weren't to blame whatsoever.

"Do you need anything? Water, pancakes, an-"

"I'm fine, Jace." I shifted on the couch now, my eyes on the bandage wrapped around my foot. I could feel Griffin's intense gaze on me from where he was perched against the wall in the kitchen; incredibly brown and guilt ridden.

The exchange we shared wasn't anything Jason or any of my other brother's could understand. I had just been told my mom was finally within reach, so close I could reach out and touch her. He had been present when I had reacted to what Eleanor said. He had watched every emotion cross my face before it settled on shock.

No words had been uttered once the phone had been hung up. I had went straight to bed and fell asleep the second my head hit the pillow. Waking up early this morning and staring at the ceiling was a different story. I had been desperate to talk to someone about the entire thing, to get it out of my head and off my chest in hopes I'd be able to have a somewhat normal birthday. The odds didn't seem to really want to be on my side.

"Are you sure?" my brother touched my knee with a worried look. I nodded, smiling as confidently as possible.

"I'm positive. Now go away before I kick you." I threatened jokingly. He snickered and stood, heading down the hall.

Griffin stared after him with a look of confusion, "I've never seen him act like that."

"Me either."

He peeled himself off the wall and walked over to me with a grimace. "How're you doing? Need any of the painkillers?"

"Jace brought them up with the granola bar this morning." I avoided looking at him as I responded.

My mind had been so caught up in the news and my foot that I hadn't been able to take in what had almost happened last night.

I had almost kissed Griffin Young.

Griffin, the guy I had wished would jump off a cliff until he came to terms with how sexist and ridiculous he was. Griffin, my brother's best friend that wormed his way under my skin and stayed there until I lashed out. Griffin, the guy I had never seen as anything more than my brother's idiotic best friend.

Thinking back to it, my mind shouted that it was nothing more than my emotions coping with everything that had crashed on to my shoulders at once. My heart had no idea what had happened and was being scarily indecisive.

"Well, Happy Birthday, Princess. I'm sure this wasn't exactly how you planned your special day to turn out." He nodded at my casted foot.

I swallowed the lump crawling up my throat, "I've had worse."

He didn't say anything in return. When I turned to see if he was still beside the arm of the couch, I met his innocent, puppy like eyes.

"What are you going to do? About-" he stopped suddenly, as if saying it would trigger a mental breakdown.