Women Are From Venus

"My boobs are ready to fall out of this thing." a childish whine left me as I stared at my reflection in the mirror, meeting my stepmother's amused emerald eyes.

The dress made me feel incredibly vulnerable; I hated it. It hugged every little curve and forced my bra and breasts to a point that they looked ready to pop like a soda cap from the tight royal blue dress. My hair, a normally bone straight mess I had in a ponytail on most occasions, had been curled at the tips.

I looked disgustingly like a barbie doll that would be bought from Wal-Mart and Aliyah refused to agree. She was set on trying to boost my self confidence, which was still almost nonexistent.

"You're so beautiful." she touched my cheek with the back of her hand, one of her swollen knuckles pushing in my flushed cheek.

I wanted to agree with her, and maybe there was a small part in the back of my mind that did, but the last thing I wanted was to be wearing a tight dress and heels on a Saturday night when I could be doing better things like binging the Fast and The Furious series with my brothers.

I knew the opposite would happen as soon as I stepped into the foyer. My brothers would all be scattered in their usual spots in the living room, doing one of two things. Watching TV or playing video games. I desperately hoped it wasn't the latter so I wouldn't have to suffer and watch while waiting for Toby.

Tobias, who would be dressed in a royal blue tux with an obnoxious red tie he had gotten to piss off his parents. Toby, who I would be spending the entire night with in a dress I was ready to pop out of.

"Let's go wait for Prince Charming down stairs." Aliyah wiggled her eyebrows suggestively as she took my hand. Wrapping her own securely around it, she dragged me down the steps until I nearly tripped over my heel and fell face first into a stair. I muttered bitterly under my breath as I tried to keep my white-blonde ringlets from falling into my eyes and causing even more of a problem.

Griffin was walking backwards out of the kitchen with a granola bar in his right hand when we stopped on the last step. His head whipped in our direction at the sound of my staggered footsteps.

The half of bar he had left remained halfway to his open mouth as he let his eyes freely roam my figure. I fought the urge to unstrap one of my uncomfortable heels and chuck it at him until he stopped staring.

Eventually he shut his mouth and nodded, "You look great."

"You better stop staring at me." I huffed.

"Why? You look beautiful."

"I look like a blueberry, my underwear is too tight, and I can't feel my feet." I grumbled, "I don't feel beautiful."

Griffin chuckled, "Then why are you wearing it in the first place?"

"Tobias' relatives got a reservation at a five star restaurant and his mother won't allow him to be seen with me in anything but a dress. She's wonderful." My stepmom and Griffin were clearly amused by my sarcasm.

"How's your back?" He diverted the subject after a few minutes of silence.

"It's still sore." I could feel Aliyah's hand fall against the bandage on my spine, her fingers trailing until they reached the second one on my shoulder blade.

"We'll see you later." Aliyah kissed my forehead before backing down the hall, "Remember to make sure Tobias has you home by twelve. Have a great night, sweetheart."

*

I had never felt more uncomfortable in my own skin then I did when Toby slipped his hand from the small of my back to introduce me to the two women crowded outside the stunning authentic Chinese restaurant.