A Little Unsteady

When I was nine, Lucas explained that fear was all in the way we think and perceive everything around us. Someone could fear the unknown, not knowing what the future will bring. Fearing that only fuels our minds into believing it to be true; forcing the knowledge that we are truly afraid of something we've yet to experience.

Getting off the plane in New York, I couldn't help but let my mind wander back to my brother's wise words. I had been terrified of heights and planes my entire life; watching disaster movies didn't help that fear much either. Toby fell to his knees, looking ready to kiss the dirty tile beneath his knees. Griffin stood back and watched my best friend in amusement, lips curving into his signature smirk.

It hadn't been a brilliant idea on my part to invite both of the boys to come with me; in my defense, I had doubted Griffin would agree to accompany me again. When I had told him Toby would be joining, he made his decision to come even more apparent. It was one thing I hated about both boys, they tended to get overly competitive.

"You're aunt is meeting us here, right?" Toby questioned from the ground.

I leaned forward on my toes and read the text, "She said she's already here."

With Griffin's help, Toby rose back to his feet shakily and ran a hand through his hair, swallowing repeatedly as if he had something caught in his throat. I could see Griff clearly trying to hide his amusement as I scanned my surroundings for Eleanor.

Toby spotted her before I did and made sure to inform us of his findings. She caught him waving his arms in the air and started toward us, a sad smile breaking out across her face.

"You look like you got yourself into some trouble." She commented, seeing my casted foot. I leaned against her for support as I nodded, avoiding her guilt ridden eyes.

"Stepped on a piece of glass." I mumbled.

After introducing herself to Toby, she led us out of the aiport. I had thought LAX was terrible with traffic and influx of people rushing in and out; the airport we were in now gave them a run for their money.

"How is Evan?" Eleanor asked upon reaching her black mini-van.

Griffin responded before I could, "He's not taking the news as well as Alex. He's angry and bitter. After what you did, I'm surprised Lex isn't too."

My aunt cleared her throat and started the car as Toby helped me into it, making sure I was in safely before taking my crutch and walking around the car with it.

"I have already apologized and I don't feel comfortable speaking about it any longer." she paused, "Now that you're here, I can explain myself."

Griffin's lip curled bitterly, "Go ahead."

The three of us remained silent as my aunt pulled out of the mess of vehicles and broke back out on to the main road, coughing once before the words came spewing out.

"Your mother came to me a little less than three years ago. I hadn't seen her in over six years and to have her on my door step, I couldn't turn her away." Eleanor spoke in a hushed whisper, barely audible.

"Let me tell you, she looked like something out of a horror movie. Her hair was ratty, eyes swollen and bloodshot, body shaking. She was sick, and it was a type of sickness I couldn't help with." My aunt's voice cracked, "So I got her into a rehabilitation center. I knew she was in fear of something, I wasn't sure what, but the moment she knew she was safe behind the walls of the building, she didn't want out."

Toby's lips parted, "Does she know about Alex trying to find her?"

"No." I had to bite back my words when I heard her response.