If You Love Me Don't Let Go

A sharp intake of breath was my only response to the man standing before me.

His stance was one of someone that was nervous, anticipating and predicting my next move with very passing second. When he realized I wasn't overly thrilled by his sudden appearance, he bowed his head and broke the tense silence with a sigh.

The man before me never got a chance to speak; a hand grabbed me from behind and ripped me back down the steps. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Griffin stood inches from me, his warm, ragged breath against my cheek as he slammed his hands against his knee caps and tried to catch his breath. His entire white v-neck was drenched in sweat, riding up his side when he stretched his arms behind his head to reveal his toned abdomen.

"Your a sixteen year old girl in New York at night. What in your right mind thought it would be okay to walk the streets by yourself? I was this fucking close to calling the police, Alexis. This close." He took my chin in between his fingers and turned my head, as if he were checking for injuries.

My father, perched on the last step of the old house, frowned, "I don't appreciate you talking to my daughter that way, kid."

Griffin wasn't in any mood to deal with my father's sudden interest in my life and closed the gap between them with a grimace.

"You shut your God Damn mouth, Jared. The reason I'm so pissed is because I was worried your daughter might have gotten abducted or got herself into trouble as usual." He paused, cocking his head to the side "What are you even doing in New York?"

I had been desperate to ask the question myself the moment he opened the front door.

"Is she in there?" I whispered, pushing Griffin's outstretched hand away.

"No."

"What are you doing here then, Dad?" I was too exhausted to try and fight him.

"I've disappointed you your entire life, Alexis. I can't let you do this and be devastated by the outcome, knowing very well I could have prevented it." My dad held out his hand, palm up, waiting for me to take it as a peace offering. Rather than take the offering, I fell back and leaned into Griffin, my eyes everywhere but the two of them.

I didn't come all the way to New York to face my father and have any hope I had crushed into the ground.

Backing away, I felt Griffin starting to turn with me. My head snapped up at the sound of a door being thrown open and a yell breaking into the quiet night, "Jared! Wait!"

The woman's voice was shrill, her face illuminated by the streetlight, frantic and flushed. My dad's hand fell limp at his side, a strained sigh leaving him.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from the woman racing down the path, her blonde braid flying wildly behind her. The second her piercing blue eyes fell on me, she skidded to a stop, shoes digging into the marsh grass.

"Jared-" the woman began, but my stomach heart had lurched in my chest, dragging the little I ate up with it. Whirling around, I collapsed in the grass and threw up, squeezing my eyes shut. Griffin was crouched down beside me before I could open them again, holding my hair back in his fist. When I was sure nothing else would come up, I leaned back on my shoes, whipping my head back toward my father and the woman slowly falling into step beside him.

"We need to get back to Katrina's. You're exhausted and sick, Alex." Griffin ran his thumb along my cheek, pulling me with him as he rose.

The woman shoved car keys into my father's open arms, but her eyes remained glued to me, "A. . . Are you Alexis?"