3. The Farm

A/N : Hey guys!

        I watched Spider-Man : Homecoming, and let me just tell you, that my mind is blown! Marvel has done it once again, and they never fail to disappoint! So many ideas are brewing in my head, and things are going to get interesting in this book.

       I hope you stick around! And also, Stan Lee's wife has past away this week. They've been together since 1947, and my heart just aches for him. Stan is our hero, and I can't imagine the pain and heartbreak that he is going through. He and his family are in our thoughts and prayers🖤

                                       ***

     The familiar sight of thick oak trees, and smell of a freshly cut green field brought a slight sense of home around me. It was a big change from the crummy hotel rooms with bad breakfasts. I opened the car door and stepped out into the farm, suddenly feeling like a country girl from a country music video.

      If I walk into that house and Laura is playing Luke Bryan, I swear I'll go full on country. That's definitely not a sight for sore eyes. There was that one time where I decided to be a cowgirl for Halloween four years ago, it definitely wasn't the best look for me.

      I closed the door behind me, clutching a large bag that was oddly shaped like a circle. Yes, the shield was in there. This is the only bag I could find that would hold the massive shield "She knows I'm coming here, right?" I glanced over to Henry. He was pulling some bags from the trunk of the car.

"Yes" he nodded, shutting the trunk once his hands were full. I took some bags from him and starting making my way to the house. It still looked the same as it did last year when I was here. But that was when the Avengers were with me. Everything is different with them broken up and scattered.

"How did you know about her?" I asked as we stepped up the wooden porch stairs towards the door. Several flowers hung down from the roof of the porch, and a simple swing attached the roof rocked back and forth in the wind.

Henry set a suitcase down on the floor by the welcome mat and raised up his hands "I knew her Grandmother" he tapped his knuckles against the front door. Oh yea, that's right. Henry Morgan was an Agent of SHIELD (before Hydra took it down), but not just any normal Agent. He has some sort of supernatural immortality power that keeps him young Forever.

He explained it to me before. Apparently, he was on board a slave ship back in the 1800's, and then was shot with a gun because he attempted to free the slaves from the ship before they reached Caribbean Islands. His body was cast overboard into the Atlantic. And all the sudden, he came back. In the snap of a finger, he came back to life. Ever since then he's been trying to figure out why he comes back to life every time he dies.

Henry told me that he has died 17 times since the first death, he has died in numerous ways. But no matter what, he wakes up every time in the closest body of water. No scars, no changes, nothing. I couldn't imagine living like that, watching everyone age around me.

He joined SHIELD back when they first came together as an organization, and he's been there ever since. Of course SHIELD knows of his phenomenal ability, that's why they've kept him around all this time. He's one of the most famous Agents to ever exist, but no one outside SHIELD knows of his gift.

"Does she know that you're like a million years old?"

"236 to be exact" he cut his eyes to me and knocked on the door again "and yes, she does"

I heard footsteps from beyond the door, a girl giggled and someone shushed them. After a few seconds, the door swung open and Laura stood their holding a baby in her hands "You made it" she breathed "wonderful, come in" she stepped back, opening up the door wider.

Henry smiled and stepped in, I followed, giving a quick glance behind my back before shutting the door "it's so good to see you again Henry" Laura gave him a quick hug, still holding the baby. I remember that Clint told me his kids names were Cooper, Lila, and Nathaniel. Laura held the little Nathanial who was probably no older than a year now.

Last time I saw her, she was pregnant with him. The two other kids stood in the living room, watching us from a distance. Fairly Odd Parents was playing on the tv in the living room, and it smelled like Mac & Cheese.

"And you darling, you look wonderful" he placed a kiss on her cheek and pulled away "I'm sure you remember Jessica" he gestured to me. I set the bags down on the floor and gave a forced smile.

"Of course" she walked over to me, holding Nathaniel on her hip "Wow" she breathed, noticing my short blonde hair and brown eye contacts "you wouldn't be able to tell that it's you" a smile spread over her face. For some reason, it reminded me of my Mother from long ago "I'm so happy to finally see you again" she wrapped her arm around me, my face was squished up against Nathaniel.

"You too" I patted her back awkwardly.

Laura gave me one last squeeze before stepping back, her other son Cooper walked over and took the baby from her arms and he disappeared into the kitchen "Well" she crossed her arms over her chest "I'm sure that Henry explained everything to you, about you staying here, and me being your 'mother'." She used her fingers as quotations.

"Something like that" I looked over to Henry who was quietly talking to Lila, Laura's daughter "Maddox Lee Barton" I said my name out loud "I'll have to get use to it..." I looked around the simple farm house, seeing all the toys and paintings looming around. This is Clints home. When he's not fighting and almost getting himself killed, he's here, living a normal life "Is... he here?" I asked. She knew exactly what I was asking.

"No" she shook her head, sounding slightly disappointed. Her eyes dropped down to the floor "Like you, he is on the run. He stops by every once in awhile, but not often"

"Oh" I sighed, setting my suitcase down on the floor.

"I'll take those up to your room" Henry offered, picking up the bags and disappearing up the stairs. Laura put her arm around my shoulder and led me into the kitchen where the rest of her family was. Her son Cooper sat at the table and was feeding his baby brother, and Lila was beside him coloring in a Dora the Explorer coloring book.

"Everyone, this is Maddox, do you remember her?" Laura asked her kids, I waved.

"Your name's not Maddox though, right?" Cooper raised his eyebrow, not looking very pleased at the moment "you're Jessi Stark, Iron Mans Daughter"

"Well, for right now I'm not" I shoved my hands in my back bluejeans pockets "I'm Maddox Barton, your older sister"

"You're not my sister" Cooper said plainly and returned to feeding Nathaniel.

Lila looked up from her coloring book and gave me a smile "I've always wanted a sister" I wish Cooper had her enthusiasm. Henry returned downstairs and entered her kitchen, rubbing the top of Nathaniel's head for a moment. The little baby sat in his high chair at the front of the table.

Henry looked like he was about to leave "are you leaving?" My mouth almost fell open "you're not staying with me?" I asked, walking over to him quickly.

"No" he shook his head "I have more urgent matters to take care of. You will be safe here Jessi, no need to fret"

"He's right" Laura spoke up "you'll be hidden and out of harms way. Nobody will think to look for you here. You'll be able to live a normal life" My mouth opened and closed as I tried to form words, but nothing came out. I looked back over to Henry but he was already heading towards the door.

I ran after him, almost tripping over the table in the hallway. Henry opened the front door and glanced back over his shoulder, a smirk rested on his face "and you better get settled in soon, because tomorrow is your first day of school"

WHAT?!