4. Ames Justice

"School?"

"Yes"

"Me?"

"Yes"

"School?!"

Laura rubbed her hands over her face. I sat at the kitchen table with Lila that evening, a plate of sizzling chicken laid out in front of me with a icy glass of sweet tea. Lila chewed loudly at her French fries and Nathaniel giggle from his high-chair. Cooper looked bored and never made eye contact with me "It was Henry's idea, not mine" Laura stood at the kitchen sink, washing some leftover dishes.

"It's like he wants for people to find out who I am" I leaned my cheek into my palm and rested my elbow on the table. The tv in the living room played an annoying episode of Spongebob. The episode where he ripped his pants "I don't think I can do school again, this will be my third time starting over again in a school. First the one in Malibu, then in New York, and now here in... whatever state this is!"

"Pennsylvania" Laura informed.

"Thank you" I mumbled, taking a bite from my chicken.

Laura sighed, dropping the sponge in the sink "it won't be so bad Jessi" she assured, wiping her hand on her dark blue jeans "you'll see, things will settle down. And also, Henry has someone there to keep an eye out for you"

I raised my eyebrow, my mouth full of juicy chicken "who?"

"I'm not sure, but you'll figure out soon enough" Laura refilled my ice tea glass. I drowned the cup in a matter of seconds "Lila" She turned to her daughter once dinner was done, Cooper headed back to the living room where his video game was "Why don't you go show Jessi her new room?"

Lila jumped up eagerly, taking my hand in hers. She nearly yanked me from the seat "Okay! Follow me" she squealed with excitement. Laura laughed as I was pulled up the stairs to the long hallway. The third door on the left was mine. Lila's brunette curls bounced as she hopped down the hallway and pushed open the wooden door.

It was a simple room. Dark brown carpet and tan walls, wooden dresser and table. A bed with flannel bed sheets loaded with pillows, and a large window that over looked the fields of the farm. I'm going to be honest, this kind of lifestyle was new to me. I am used to lounging in penthouses, or mansions that over look the Pacific Ocean. This southern styled house and life will take some getting use to.

"My room is next door!" Lila said eagerly, bouncing on the balls of her feet "we can have sleepovers!"

"Great!" I smiled, using all of my forced enthusiasm. Lila skipped out of the room, leaving me alone. It smelled like wood and air freshener. My bags already rested on the floor next to the neat bed. I walked towards the dresser, noticing all the beauty supplies and clothes that Laura put out for me.

On the corner of the dresser, in front of the mirror, a simple vintage photo sat wedged in between two books. I pulled out the photo and blew the dust away from the glass. It was a picture of a young looking Laura and another woman with blonde hair. They looked like two best friends as they stood in front of a blazing campfire. Laura held a marshmallow on a stick and the blonde haired lady seemed to be mid-laugh. They were frozen in time.

  "Mom" I whispered, knowing exactly who the other lady was. She was younger then, alive. A simple necklace with a lily charm rested on her neck. I reached up to the collar of my shirt and pulled it down, revealing that same necklace. Bucky Barnes gave it to me before he was refrozen in Wakanda.

Once upon a time he was in love with my mother, and she was in love with him. She tried to save him from Hydra, to free him from the prison of brainwashing, but she failed. And years later she paid the price for it on that snowy day in D.C. I closed my eyes tight, not wanting to feel the pain of her loss anymore.