19. Tonight

A/N : Before you read, I just want to take this moment to send my condolences to everyone in Las Vegas. The shooting at the country concert has impacted all of us. Also, the pain and helplessness that country music singer Jason might be feeling breaks my heart.

      But I feel as if this horrific event has drawn our divided country together, even if it's just for a moment. No matter your religious or political beliefs, we all can agree that this act of evil is beyond despicable. We must unite against this. These terrorist and shooters will not win. The American people, and the good citizens of the world are all against them.

God Bless, writingavenger.

                                       ***

      "Where have you been?!" Stephanie yelled with impatience when I returned with a new phone and Peter. He climbed into the back seat and I hopped in the front with Stephanie. The red, white, and blue shield rested on the floor in front of my seat. I figured it would come in handy if a fight was in our immediate future.

      Stephanie had kept the car running for us. She was parked towards the back of the lot where the school lights didn't reach.

      "Oh you know, just catching up with everyone" I pulled on my seat belt and patted the dashboard, telling her that it was time to get going "Peter, Stephanie, Stephanie, Peter" I introduced the two. Peter gave a small, he still wore the red cloth mask and special black goggles. He must have looked like a very colorful bank robber to her.

      She pulled off from the parking lot and sped down the road, giving him a small glance in the rearview mirror.

"He's cute" she complimented "I mean, at least I think he is under the mask"

"I know"

"Wait, what?" Peter but in, leaning forward in the seat.

      "Call that Ned guy, Peter!" I told him sternly, spinning in my seat to look at him "so we can tell Stephanie where to go"

      "Right" he pulled out Flashes phone and dialed the number. I found it humorous how we actually took his phone, and he just went along with it. Flash is not as cool as he thinks. After a few rings, the guy picked up. I leaned back in my seat as Stephanie gained speed. She started dodging slower cars.

     "Ned! Can you here me? I need you to track my phone for me" Peter spoke into the phone with his voice raised. Stephanie swerved, sending Peter knocking against the window "ow!" He hissed sharply.

"Seat belts, so we can be safe!" I warned as Peter rubbed his head.

      "Where is it?" Peter asked into the phone, roping the seat belt across his chest and lap "Ned said that Toomes just passed a game stop on Jackson avenue!" Peter informed after a few moments. Stephanie slammed on the brakes and narrowly made a sharp turn onto Jackson avenue. I gripped the handle on the roof of the car, watching as the city blurred by us.

      Steve's shield nearly went airborne if I hadn't have trapped it between my foot and the floor. People jumped out of the way to escape the path of our car. Luckily, Stephanie was a good driver and didn't hit the pedestrians. But they did yell swear words at us. From here, I spotted Avengers tower in the dark distance.

      It looked like a Quinn-jet was parked out on the balcony. I wondered what could possibly be going on up there. The tower disappeared behind other buildings. I missed being in New York. The city had grown on me over the past three years that I've lived here.

      "Has your friend gotten through to Happy yet?" I asked Peter over my shoulder, he had the phone up to his ear.

      "I'll ask" he said "Ned, have you gotten through to Happy Hogan yet? And have you located my phone?" After a couple moment of silence, Peter looked back over to me "Ned said that he stopped at an old industrial park! But that doesn't make any sense because Toomes told me in his car that he was going out of town" Stephanie changed lanes and took another turn down a crowded road. The tower was fading from view.

      "Oh my God" I ran my fingers through my brunette hair "What is this guy up to?" I asked out loud, not expecting an answer "So did your friend reach Happy?"

"I don't know-"

      "Peter give me the phone, please" I reached back, cutting him off. Peter handed me the phone and quickly and I brought the speaker to my ear "Hey Ned, what did Happy say?"

      "Jessi Stark! It's an honor to talk with you on the phone. I've seen you around school but I never imagined-"

      "The fate of the world rests in our high school hands and you want to talk about honor?!" I swear this guy is the chubbier version of Prince Zuko.

      "Right, sorry, just a little jittery" he apologized. I rolled my eyes "But I did get through to Happy by the way, he didn't seem very happy"

"Yeah, tell me about it" I mumbled.

      "Anyway, it sounded like he was about to catch a flight. He said something about taking off in nine minutes. He was surrounded by a bunch of boxes"

      "Boxes?" I repeated, Peter leaned forward in the seat "He said that Happy is about to take off in a Jet, and is surrounded by a bunch of boxes" I handed the phone back to Peter, giving him a confused look. What could they possibly be transporting?

      Peter thought for a moment, suddenly his body perked up "It's moving day" he said quickly "Its moving day! He's going to rob that plane I have got to stop him!" Peter yelled, his voice gets higher when he's paranoid, and it's kinda cute... just saying.

     "Moving? My Dad is moving!" My jaw dropped "Stephanie, stop the car!" I yelled. She immediately slowed down and pulled off to the side of the road. The car came to a hard stop and my body shifted forward before slamming back against the seat.

      I turned to face both of them "If Toomes is planning on robbing the plane then I have to stop it. Stephanie, go with Peter to the compound, rescue your Dad. Peter" I looked to him "Take care of whatever you have to do with Toomes, do it carefully. April could be around, and none of you can beat her alone" I removed my seat belt and climbed out of the car.

     "We only have nine minutes to stop this. If that plane gets in the air and Toomes gets a hold of it, that's the end for us. All those weapons will be dangerous and deadly, especially in his hands" I reached down to the floor and picked up the circular shield.

      "How are you going to get to Avengers Tower before the jet takes off?" Stephanie asked, her head was lowered so she could see me standing outside the car.

      "I'll figure it out, now go! Be safe. Remember-" I held the door open for a split second "-everything we do tonight counts" I specifically looked to Peter, but I had complete faith that he'll get it done. He may be young, but so am I. We're both a little out of our element at the moment.

      The only difference is... this is my life, and this is his hobby "If he gets away we all lose" I slipped the straps of the shield over my shoulder so it fit over my back like a book-bag.
Then I shut the door and disappeared down the street. Stephanie drove off to the compound.