17. Anchors

I stood in my country styled bedroom. The bed was perfectly made, and the dresser was neat and organized. I had on a long sleeve black shirt and dark blue jeans. My now short brunette hair was kept down and barely brushed my shoulders. I picked up Cap's shield and looped my arm in the straps. This might come in handy. Cooper was waiting out in the hallway for me, he stood awkwardly by my door "Hey Cooper"

"You're really leaving now?" He asked quickly.

      I sighed, closing the door behind me "Yeah, I am. But I'll be back someday. Besides" I smirked and joked "I thought you couldn't wait to get ride of me" He wanted to laugh, but something was holding him back. He lowered his eyes to the floor in disappointment.

     "Look" I placed my hand on his shoulder, not knowing how these sibling talks work. I'll just wing it and hope it all makes sense "The world is changing around us, everyday, every minute. We need to be willing to accept that, we have to accept change. If we don't... we're nothing but anchors in the bottom of the sea, holding everyone back from a brighter future".

      I lowered myself to match his height "You're changing too Cooper, you are becoming the man of the house. And you will be until your Father comes home, and I promise you that he will"

"How do you know he will?"

      "Because that's something that doesn't ever change. True love" it's cliché, yes I know "Not that romantic Ryan Gosling crap. But true love, Parents to their kids, kids to their parents. Clint would do absolutely anything for you, anything that you ask. Why? Because that's love"

"Does sibling to sibling count?" Cooper asked.

"Of course" I smiled.

      He wrapped his arms around my waist in a tight hug. Over a week ago, he hated me. He would hardly look at me. Now during this small time of being together, of getting to know each other, I can tell that all of that was all behind us. I hugged him back. In a way we were like siblings.

      Laura handed me the keys to her car with a small smile on her lips. Nathaniel was at her hip, she bounced him slightly to keep in entertained. I took the keys gratefully, knowing full well that this was goodbye. After whatever happens in New York, I'll turn myself in to the Government. I won't mention her to anyone. Her life will go on and so will mine.

      "Thank you" I said simply "You have been the greatest pretend Mom that I could ever ask for" she took my hand and squeezed it "and in some ways, it really wasn't pretend"

      "And you showed me what it's like to have teenagers" she chuckled softly, looking to her son for a moment before meeting her watery eyes with mine "can't wait for those years" she joked, trying her hardest not to cry. Her face became serious "Stephanie told me what you're going to do after this is all over. And I'm just saying that you don't have to. You are welcome back here with me, and the kids. Jessi you are always welcome"

      "I'll uh... I'll keep that in mind" I assured, knowing full well that I can't ever return. Me being here is dangerous for her, and her family. She pulled me in for a long hug. Nathaniel's face was pressed against mine but I didn't care all that much. I pressed a kiss to his cheek, and Lila wrapped herself around my legs.

      Stephanie waited by the car for me. We would arrive in New York around 8pm if we left now. I walked down the stairs, letting go of Lila's hand. She started to cry and held her Mothers leg. Cooper stood on the porch and just watched. I went to the car and set my bag and shield in. Westbrook and Matthew were taking another car, the Porsche, and Stephanie and I were taking the Station Wagon.

      Laura waved at me from the porch, I gave a small smile and eventually sat down in the car. Stephanie started the engine and we were off, back to the city. It'll take about two hours and thirty minutes to reach Queens.

      The car rumbled down the dirt road till it formed asphalt. You could see the high school through the trees, and the football stadium. We drove through the small town where the café was. I still remember Ames catching me on the sidewalk after our first meeting.

      "I know that we don't know each other, and you're probably thinking I'm a creep for following you. But I just... saw you, and I couldn't just not say Hi"

His words floated through my mind.

I closed my eyes.

      "So do we have a picture of Toomes?" I asked Stephanie ten minutes in to our car ride. She kept her eyes forward on the road "So I know who we're looking for?"

      "Yeah" Stephanie lifted her lower half off the seat and reached in to her back pocket. She pulled out a black and white photo of the man. She sat back in her seat and handed it to me. He was older, slightly wrinkled skin. It was a profile picture for his Salvage Company. But something about him was familiar, extremely familiar.

      My memory immediately took me back to freshman year. Liz Allen, a friend from school had her birthday party at her house. She invited me and a few others. I knocked on her door with my friend June beside me. An older man opened the door "Jessi Stark" he smiled "Welcome, I heard you'd be coming to my lovely Daughters party"

      "Thanks for having me" I smiled brightly and hugged Liz who stood behind her Father. June introduced herself to Toomes and handed her present to Liz. There was already tons of people hanging out in that house. Her Mother who had darker skin was passing out drinks.

      I took one and thanked her, catching Toomes eyes which were on me. He quickly looked away and started fiddling with the food tray. At the time I didn't think twice about it. But now that I know, it was clearly obvious that he wasn't a big fan of me.

"No way" I breathed, my eyes burning in to the photo.

"What?" Stephanie asked.

"I know this guy. I met him once at my friends party. He's the Dad of a friend"

"Really?!" Stephanie's eyes opened wide.

      "This is... a plot twist" I rubbed my head and scratched my eyebrow, my eyes not leaving the photo "I wonder if Liz knows, oh hell I hope she hasn't been secretly against me this whole time like April was. Because that realization sucked"

"I guess we won't know till we get there"