CHAPTER 12: AN INCONVENIENT LIE

'Diving to deep down into this thing called love'

I don't own any of Riverdale, only my characters.

"I'm sorry, but the Twilight Drive-In? It's a blight that's become a cesspool, and a hangout for criminals and transients, and the deal's done. Andrews Construction is scheduled to demolish the lot on Monday" Mayor McCoy said shuffling through some paper as Jughead pleaded with her to not sell the drive-in.

Jughead asked me to come along to see her, I felt almost a need to want to stop the demolishment of the drive-in mainly because I've never been there but it holds so many memories for the people of Riverdale.

"Mayor McCoy, when I was a kid, my family and I would go to the drive-in all the time. We couldn't afford tickets for everyone, so my sister Jellybean and I would hide in the trunk until we parked. We'd sneak out. It's like my home" I didn't know Jughead had a sister, his statement struck a cord of sadness within me.

"That's a very sweet sentiment, Mr. Jones. But the future of Riverdale is at stake" McCoy said.

She gestured for us to leave and we left, as we walked through the streets I could tell that Jughead was pissed about the mayor.

I took a glance at his hand seeing it clenched tightly, his knuckles white.

So I did what any rational person would, I gently touched his hand. He flinched at my touch but I opened his palm with my fingers and laced our hands together.

He had frozen and wasn't walking anymore, so I gave him a small smile and pulled him along with me.

"Why are you holding my hand?" He asked.

"Well I heard the personal contact can lower your anger levels" I answered, "so when I held your hand you calmed down"

"I wasn't angry"

"No, you were annoyed. Which is understandable, if I was in your shoes I would be livid"

Jughead smiled at me softly, "so what movie are we seeing at the drive-in tonight?" I asked "you choose" he said. I pretended to think for a moment before saying "The Usual Suspects" I suggested.

His smile turned into a genuine grin and his grip on my hand softened, "what?" I asked.

"I absolutely love your choice in movies, indie classics" he said "I appreciate the old things, why do you think I dress like this?" I said gesturing to my clothes.

"90's grunge" he replied, "exactly" I smirked.

"So The Usual Suspects it is" Jughead said.

-----------

"Mom I'm home!" I yelled out walking through my front door, I threw my keys on the table and walked into the kitchen. I opened the fridge and pulled out a jar of salsa and I grabbed a packet of Doritos, as usual trying to get that goddam jar is almost impossible.

I twist and turn but it won't open.

Then a hand laid over mine, I jumped at the sudden contact and looked to the culprit.