CHAPTER 18: FLICKERING FLASHES

'Don't tell me you need me, you clearly don't believe it'

I don't own any of Riverdale, only my characters

What makes a place feel like home? Is it warmth and familiarity? Some idealised, make-believe TV version of the American Dream? Is it love and acceptance? Or is it simple safety?.
Or it's none of those things.
And it's a place where the captain of the football team is murdered.
Or maybe it's just a forgotten closet under a well-trod staircase, where it's just you and the mice and the spiders, like an extra in a Wes Craven movie.

Bright lights shone through my window, the morning sun blinding my covered eyes. I quietly groaned rolling over cuddling into my blankets, I sniffed smelling the sweet smell of cotton candy. I enjoyed the bliss of silence before Marcus so rudely barged into my room.

BANG

BANG

BANG

I groaned hearing him bang the pots together, "TIME TO GET UP ANNA BANANA!!" He screamed banging them together some more. I rolled over burying my face into my pillow trying to ignore him, then all of a sudden he jumped on me making the bed bounce. I gasped at his weight as he elbowed my side.

"Ouch, ouch! Jesus Marcus get off me" I groaned wriggling my body from under him, "time to get up Anna" he grinned standing up and beginning to jump on my bed.

"You're awfully cheery this morning" I said as he continued jumping. "It's a nice day outside, moms making waffles, dads not here and you my baby sister are going to school" he grinned "and you aren't?" I said raising an eyebrow "of course I am, and also guess who got put on the track team" he cheered.

"You got on!" I squealed excitedly then he pulled out a note and said "hey Marcus, you're on the track team. Practice is every Thursday afternoon 3-6:00 and every Saturday morning 5:30-8:00. Don't be late to them, Coach Clayton"

"I like the informality of it all" I smirked "I never took coach as a 'dear Mr such and such'" Marcus shrugged.

"So are you excited" I smiled "ecstatic" he smirked, "does mom know?" I asked "why do you think she's making waffles she only does that when there's something to celebrate"

"MARCUS, ANNA. BREAKFASTS READY!!" Mom yelled from downstairs "coming mom!!" Marcus shouted back.

"Anyway, I need your help" he said "with what exactly?" I asked, normally whenever Marcus asks for something it isn't good. It's either a really, really nasty prank or something that is top secret, I'm aiming towards the top secret favour right now.