March 21, 15:34 Hours *Less Than 4 Hours Until Commission*

School was a pain. One class after another was annoying and slow. I sat there in class, tapping my pencil on the table top. I didn't listen to my teacher. A D in each class would get me through high school. Well, in my district anyways.

At the end of the day, I went to my locker to get my stuff. As I walked by, the path was cleared for me. They were still scared of me. I would be, too, if I wasn't myself. They knew I would lash out if anything happened. That's what happened in elementary school. The teachers said I almost killed the kid. I didn't think I did. I didn't believe any of the teachers.

I got to my locker and opened it. I didn't do my homework. I just stuffed it in my locker, and grabbed my leather jacket. Going out into the cold, New York City almost spring was like going into a winter wonderland.

My school was right next to Time Square, so I usually went over there for a few hours. My parents didn't care, so I was usually out until nine at night. I had no friends as well. I always went alone. I knew a cashier at a coffee place. She usually hooked me up with some hot tea. After getting my tea for dinner, I would wander the streets, looking at the dazzling lights.

I walked over to Time Square. As normal, people were everywhere. Some people pushed past me, so I pushed them back. You could easily see the tourists. They were snapping pictures of the sights and had an amazed look in their eyes. The lights of the build boards and screens shined down on me. Taxis hocked at pedestrians and other cars. It was crowded, but this was my home. My family.

I walked around. I looked at all the shops and went into some of my favorite stores. I talked to some clerks and struck up some deals with them. Five o'clock rolled around and I grabbed my regular tea: peppermint. It cleared up my sinuses. My throat felt softened. It was my favorite feeling in the world.

At six-thirty, everything started to act a bit odd. There weren't as many people out on the streets. I could only hear the taxis honking faintly on the other side of town. Where did everybody go? This was supposed to be New York City. It needed people to make it a hot spot.

On the biggest screen was a timer. That's weird. It said we only had thirty minutes of something left. What was that thirty minutes for? What would happen after that?

I sat on a bench across the street from the screen. As it counted down, I played on my phone. I needed to find out why it was counting down. My curiosity just kept growing as time went on.

I looked up for the last time at the screen. It said a minute. As it hit that minute mark, a siren started going off. It sounded like an evacuation was happening. Either that or we were being bombed. I jumped to my feet and started looking around. People were freaking out with me.

"This is not a drill," a voice over an intercom said. "This is not a drill."

What was it talking about?

"The Purge is a twelve hour period of time where no one is safe. Every police stations, fire departments, and medical services are offline during this time. All criminal actions are legal."

Thirty seconds left on the count down.

"This will last until seven o'clock tomorrow morning. Keep your doors locked. Don't trust anyone. Everyone is a enemy."

Fifteen seconds.

"Good luck. If you have any questions, tomorrow morning after seven o'clock will be able to have them be seen. Until then, there is no help."

Five.

I started running, throwing my cup to the ground.

Four.

My heart pounded a million miles an hour.

Three.

People were running as well.

Two.

I was knocked to the ground.

One.

I looked up at the screen.

Zero.

A blow horn's screech pierced through the air.