Chapter 2

"What do you mean you signed up for the mission with Galaxy Research?!!" Sandy yelled. "What the fuck are you thinking! People die! They don't come back!! Very few have ever come back! You can't do this Haley! You're not thinking straight!"!?"
"I am thinking straight Sandy. You are the only person I have anymore and you're starting your own life. You don't need me anymore. I just want to start over." She said stubbornly. "Sandy I love you but you know that I haven't been happy since the accident. I've been hanging on by a thread. If they choose me for this mission it gives me a chance to make my life mean something. I could end up someplace where I could make a difference and I could start over."
"You could die before you even get there," Sandy said on a long sigh. She was starting to cry. She didn't want to lose her best friend.
"True. But if I die I'll be with my family again. I'll be happy either way. Can't you see that Sandy? This is what I have to do."
Just then the telephone rang. Haley looked at the caller id.
"It's them!" She picked up the phone.
"Hello"
"Ms. Stewart this is Mr. Chambers. I just finished a meeting with the board and you have been chosen for the mission we discussed yesterday."
"That's great!" She was excited. She was looking at Sandy smiling hoping she could be happy for her.
"Ms. Stewart, you have to be ready to leave in one week." He said matter of fact.
"Wh..What? So soon?" She didn't think it would be that quick.
"Yes, that's why I told you to think about things last night. You will need to be here in one week. You will start training then. You will train for 2 weeks then you will actually be on your way." He sighed. "Now on to money. I'm going to tell you how much you will be paid now because you have to get started handling that right now. It's going to take you a week to get that settled. If there are any lingering issues with it. You will have to let our attorney know and he will handle it. Once you enter the facility you can't leave again for any reason. You must understand that. You will be given top secret information that can't be revealed at this time. You understand this?"
"Yes"
"Ok, your total payment will be 20 million dollars. 10 million now and 10 million in 10 years if you haven't returned. Remember you have to work out details with your beneficiary on what to do upon your return."
"Holy shit! Wow! I didn't think it was going to be that much." She couldn't believe it. All that money. And she was going to be able to give it to her best friend. Sandy wouldn't have to ever worry about anything again.
"I will see you in one week. Have a good day." He hung up.
"Sandy! Come here!" Sandy is going to shit her pants when she hears this.
"What is it?"
"Sit down. I've got a surprise for you. Well, more than one actually. They chose me for the mission. I'm leaving in one week." She said excitedly.
"What no! Not so soon!" Her face fell. Sandy tried to be happy for Haley but she just couldn't. She was too worried.
"No no don't be sad Hun, please. Like I told you this is what I want." Haley pleaded.
"I have to get things in order before I go. So, I'm giving everything to you. You get my house and car and everything in them."
"But what if you come back you'll need them?"
"Even if I come back it won't be for years and none of this will be any good anymore. You can do what you want with the house." Haley was pacing trying to think of everything she needed to do and say. "Oh, I can't think of everything right now." She wasn't going to say anything about the money until she actually saw it then she would tell Sandy."
"It's ok Hun Let's just spend time together and as you think about things tell me. We are going to have to fit a lifetime of friendship into a week. I'll call Allen and tell him that I won't be home for the next week."

The week went by in the blink of an eye. It was just a few hours before Haley had to be at the research center. She had given Sandy a long list of instructions. It's weird when you stop to think about all the things you have to do before you die. She wasn't planning on dying but she might as well be. She would be gone for so long. In her mind, she wasn't coming back. She wanted to someday or at least be able to talk to Sandy somehow to tell her everything she was going to see and do. She couldn't wait to start her adventure.

She took Sandy to the bank. She was going to sign all the paperwork to give her the money and control over the money that would be deposited into the account in 10 years.

"Why are we here at the bank. I thought we already took care of things here?"
"We took care of the regular accounts. I have a new account that is for this job. They are paying me half up front and half in 10 years if I don't come back before then. But since I won't be here they can give it to my beneficiary on that schedule. You are my beneficiary." Haley said smiling.
"Ok"
"Sandy, they are giving me a lot of money. It's 10 million."
Sandy just looked at her.
"Say something"
"Ummm holy shit!"
"I want you to take that money and use it however you want. You can buy a house, take a vacation, save it, whatever you want. That money is yours. I know you have never had anything and now it's your turn to have something. Don't worry about me coming back and taking it. If I come back. I will just keep the additional 10 million they will pay me. I love you, Sandy, you're my best friend my heart sister." They hugged each other and cried right there in the bank lobby with everyone watching.
Haley took a cab to the research facility. She didn't like saying goodbye. It was too hard.

Mr. Chambers met her at the door.
"Welcome, Ms. Stewart. May I call you Haley?"
"Sure"
"Come on in and I'll show you around Haley." He dropped the stuffy act. She just looked at him. Gone was the CEO and here was a happy go lucky type of guy. " My name is Robert. I'll be working with you some. There are others that will be teaching you the more technical aspects of the program here. I'll be telling you about how things work. This program is not what you have been led to believe it is. Over the next two weeks I'll tell you more and more about what Galaxy Research really is.
Right now, let's get you to your room. I'm sure you've had an exhausting week and need to rest." They walked down so many halls and turned and went up and down elevators and stairs she began to think she was on another planet already. Finally, they arrived at the end of a hallway with 3 doors. 1 was her bedroom, 1 a small bathroom, the last another bedroom. Then the hallway opened into a small kitchen dining room area.
"If you need anything to help you sleep just let me know. My room is just down the hall." He said as he opened the door to her room. "I'll be staying here with you while you're in training. I'm going to turn in now too. Goodnight Haley. I know you have lots of questions. I'll start answering some in the morning."
Ok, this is just weird now. What did he mean it's not what I've been led to believe? Well, I guess we'll see in the morning. I'll just have to see.
Her room was good sized it had a full-size bed, dresser, a comfortable looking couch and a desk. Some artsy photos hung on the wall. She had her own bathroom with a walk-in shower and big soaking tub. At least she would be comfortable while she was here. She lay down on the bed and fell asleep feeling hopeful for the first time since the accident.