Chapter 29

Jessie and Dwight at the same time heard someone coming up on their position. "Do you have any weapons, Jessie?"

"No."

"Stay here. I'm going to come around behind whoever that is, Davenport go that way."

Jessie nodded as she moved Jared's head out of her lap and laid him gently on the ground. Whoever was out there couldn't be good. Tomo hadn't blown the campground up yet so it wasn't him and the troops were too far away to have gotten to them even if they knew where they were.

"Well hello, there pretty lady." The handsome man took in her situation quickly and poured on the charm. "Looks like you need some help." He pointed to Jared. "Is he hurt badly?"

She decided to act like she didn't know much. "I don't know. He got hit in the head and hasn't woken up in hours."

"Well I hate to break it to you but if he's got a head injury its not good. There's no doctor out here and there's no way out of here anyway." He grinned. "At least not unless you know the leader of the winning side and can get a pass to get through the lines."

Jessie put on her best smile and looked up at him. "Do you know the leader?"

"I sure do. I could help you too. That is if you would be willing to..." He took her arm and pulled her up.

"Let her go asshole," Jared said out of breath as he opened his eyes. "That's Kyle. You can't trust a word he says, Jessie."

"Oh, so this is your woman, Jared." He looked her up and down. "Very nice. She's a fine piece of..."

"Shut your fucking mouth!" Jared tried to sit up. His head was pounding and he was dizzy. "Just go you've caused us enough problems. Shannon is going to hunt you down already. If I were you I wouldn't give him another reason Kyle."

Dwight materialized behind Kyle. He put a sharpened stick to his jugular. "He doesn't have to worry about Shannon right now. He has to worry about me and I have just about lost my sanity too, Jared. So please, give me a little tiny reason to push this into to your throat Kyle."

He let go of Jessie but held onto his smile as he did. "No. I won't give you a reason. You got me this time."

Dwight made quick work of patting him down and taking his weapons. He shoved him away and pointed the gun he just took from him at him. "Sit down Kyle. Tell us what you know about Teal's operation."

He let out a small laugh and rolled his eyes. "I don't know anything about his operation and even if I did I wouldn't tell you."

"Kyle I really don't have the time or patience to put up with any shit!"

"And I really don't know a fucking thing!" He said smartly. "I work for who will pay me the most and I don't ask questions." He looked back and forth between Dwight, Jared, and Jessie.

"Don't even try to figure out who you can con into helping you, Kyle. Noone here is going to." Dwight sneered at him.

"Go slow you have a nasty knot on your head, Jared." Jessie moved to help him.

Jared winced and groaned but managed to sit up. "We have to go back for them."

"Haley said to let her and Shannon take care of Teal." She tried to reassure Jared with her touch. "The troops are waiting for Tomo to blow the campground before moving in on Teal's forces."

"Ohhh there's a small problem with that I'm afraid." Kyle looked at them through his long lashes.

"What did you do you fuck!"