Chapter 28

"You can't trust Kyle, Jared. He will fuck shit up just as sure as the sun will rise. He is only out for himself." Shannon paced the room. "Why do you think he didn't come back with me? Because he liked the way we were living. He liked having to do the lowlife shit we did. That's why!" He tried to calm himself down he was getting too worked up. "Kyle has to be up to something. He wouldn't just waltz in here offering to kill Teal. There has to be something in it for him."

Jared watched him as he paced. He hadn't seen his brother like this in a long time. It was like he had come down from a high and was jonesing for his next one. He didn't know what to do for him.

"We need to head out. Grab your stuff we have to keep moving." Dwight had been keeping watch.  "I want you guys to head North I'm going to go to the West and see whats there. I'll meet you on that ridgeline by nightfall."

"Ok Dwight." Shannon and Jared headed out in the direction of the ridge. Tomo had gone with the demo team and was setting up a massive demolition that would hopefully take out more than a few of Teal's troops while destroying the campground.

They had been walking for an hour when suddenly their radios burst into life.

"Run! Jared, Shannon run! Teal has a Ghost team they are on us." They could hear the gunshots as Dwight yelled and then nothing.

They looked around but saw nothing at first but then Jared saw a low hanging branch move against the wind. "I just saw that branch move Shannon. Dwight is right. We need to run."

"You run Jared. I'm not running anymore. I'm going to take these guys out. You go to the ridgeline and wait for help. I'll clean this up and be there as soon as I can."

Jared took off, for once listening to Shannon. He ran as fast as he could. He made it to a rock wall and started to climb when he felt hands grab him and pull him back down. He kicked out connecting with someone's head. Then there was another set of hands on him again he fought them off. It was too late by the time he felt the hand on the back of his shirt. They yanked him and pulled him off the wall and he fell. He lay on the ground trying to catch his breath and protect himself as the others gathered around him.

"Shannon!"

He knew that voice.

"Shannon please stop killing everyone. I would hate to have to kill Jared here. Teal would get really upset with me."

"You mother fucker! Let Jared go!" Shannon went charging after Kyle but was stopped short.

"No no no Shanny boy," Kyle said calmly bringing the gun up to Jared's head. "You should really think about what you're doing before you make that move."

Shannon had no choice at this point but to do what Kyle wanted.

"Ahh, good boy Shannon. I can tell you've made the right choice." He motioned one of the men forward. "Now let him put restraints on you and we can be on our way."

"We had a deal, Kyle," Jared stated now that his breath was back.

"Yeah we did but you see you never stated a price and well Teal did. So I went with the better one."

"I'm sorry Shan I should have known better."

"It's ok Jay."

Kyle pushed them into walking. They walked for the better part of an hour before coming out of the woods at the edge of a clearing. Teal was there with his men and they had Dwight down on his knees. Dwight had been beaten, his lip bloody and swelling on his cheek and eyes. Shannon wondered why he hadn't just traveled out of here. Why play by the rules when this man wasn't going to.