Chapter 18

"Jared I can't stand it. I have to do something to find her."
"I know, I know. We have everyone trying to find her. We are attacking all their known bases."
"Jared let me go do something. I can't just sit here knowing she's in pain and thinking I abandoned her. Who knows what they are doing to her now."
"I need you here Shannon. What if she's able to pull you into another dream? You might be able to give us a clue as to which base she's at."
"I don't think she's at a base anymore."
"What? Why?"
"I hadn't said anything because it was only flashes nothing concrete, so it wouldn't be of any help. But I keep seeing rock walls and ceilings. I think it might be a cave or something like it."
"Anything else Shannon? Anything even if you think it's nothing might help."
"That's it, other than she's in a lot of pain and giving up little by little." He let out a shaky breath and sat down. "This is all my fault. I should have fought harder."
"There is nothing you could have done. They damn near killed you."
"I know but..."
"No buts Shannon! You did everything you could have done. She did all she could do. You both are alive. We just have to find her and when we do you'll get your payback."

_____

"The Ghost was at the base. Our source saw him go in and speak to the Leto's." Dr. Scott said.
"Do you think they will help them?"
"Uncertain at this time."
Tomo had been walking by the medical lab on his way to the patient bay when he overheard Dr. Scott speaking. He stopped to listen to him. He didn't trust him for some reason since he first saw him treating Shannon. He had a bad feeling about him then and it hadn't gotten any better. Someone knocked over something made a loud crash.
"Keep me informed of the situation." He hung up on the video call and went to see what the noise was. He looked up and down the hall, no one was there. Must have come from the bay he thought. But just in case he needed to be more careful now. They had more casualties coming in every day so there were more people to see or hear him. And especially since there was a Ghost around here now too.

____

Tomo had made it around the corner just in time. Dr. Scott hadn't seen him. He had to find Jared and tell him what he heard.
"Whoa Tomo slow down." He almost ran headlong into Jessie.
"I'm sorry Doc. Do you know where Jared is? I have to talk to him right now. It's important."
"No, but I can call him on the radio."
"Could you please. I left mine in my cabin." He really needed to remember to bring it with him all the time. He never knew when he might need it now.
"Jared?"
"Yes."
"Where ya at?"
"I'm down at the lake eating lunch. Why?"
"Tomo is on his way there. He's been looking for you." She looked up to see if he heard but he was already gone. She wondered what had happened that Tomo needed to talk to Jared about so urgently.
"Ok, I'll wait here."
Jessie's phone rang.
"You want to come eat with me?" Jared asked.
"I can't. I have patients I have to check on. How about dinner?" Jessie smile to herself. "And then a special dessert in the hot tub?"
"Ohh that sounds nice. How about dessert first?"
Jessie giggled.
"Gotta go babe Tomo's here. I love you."
"Love you too."

Something was wrong with Tomo. Jared could tell by the way he walked. As he got closer he could the worried look on his face.
"What is it?"
Tomo looked around to make sure no one was close enough to hear.
"I overheard Dr. Scott talking to someone telling them that a Ghost was here talking to you and Shannon."
"What?"
"I told you I didn't trust him, Jared. On the way to find you I kept running it through my head to make sure I didn't misunderstand something but there is no way I did. He has to be the spy, Jared." Tomo stopped to breath for a second.
"Ok slow down. Now start at the beginning and tell me everything."
They knew they had a spy. One too many things happened to be just coincidence. Like a few times, it seemed like they had known we were coming so we took a lot of casualties. They had even had a convoy stopped and ceased by the DEA but they didn't arrest anyone and didn't file charges.
But it didn't make sense that he was the spy. He wasn't allowed in on planning missions and he didn't have access to any of their offices. Of course, there were other ways to get information. Like planting bugs or maybe there was another spy.
"I was walking down the hall when I heard him tell someone that his source had seen a Ghost go into your office. The person on the other end of the video call asked if the Ghosts were going to help us. He said uncertain. I didn't hear anything else. Someone knocked over a tray and I ran around the corner before could see me."
"Fuck! So we have at least two spies." He would have to have the place checked for bugs. "Did you recognize the other person on the video?"
"No, I couldn't see inside the office."
Jared had to think about how he wanted to handle this.
"Don't say anything to anyone about this Tomo. I don't' want it to get back to Shannon. I have to think about how to handle this."
"Ok but..."
"I know we won't plan anything outside our circle until I figure this out."