Chapter 30

Davenport lay on his belly at the edge of the woods watching the cave. Teals troops where still there coming in and out. He needed some kind of distraction. He had to get in there to get to his computer. The more he thought about it the more he was convinced there had to be someone higher ranking than Teal. If he had his computer he could figure out a way to contact them and get them to help. Maybe they could bring him under control.
He could hear gunfire off in the distance in the direction of the campground and wondered if Adam had finally arrived and was working on taking it back. If he could get a radio from one these guys then maybe he could get them to change positions because of the fighting at the camp. He got up and started moving around the outside area of the cave. He came upon a Humvee with a soldier standing outside. He slowly advanced on him but the guy heard him and turned around.
"Davenport, Sir."
Oh, thank god this guy didn't know he had left the ranks. He wouldn't have to fight him. Maybe he could use him to get inside. "What's your name soldier?"
"Lawson, sir."
"Glad I found you. Please take me inside the cave I've been walking for what seems like hours."
"Yes, sir get inside the Humvee sir." He immediately obeyed. "Were you out with Dr. Teal, Sir?"
"Yes. The fighting got intense and we got separated. I need to get to my computer to call in the reinforcements we have waiting."
The soldier was silent as they came to the cave entrance they could only drive a little way in then he would have to walk. Amazingly no one questioned them as they drove in. Security wasn't tight, not at all like it was when he was in charge. They drove as far as they could, now the hard part. He would have to walk the rest of the way and hope no one realized who he was.

He took a deep breath and started walking. He took on the arrogant persona that he used to have and pretending to not notice the others. A few noticed him and spoke greetings but he ignored them.

One more turn and I'll be there. He thought to himself. He made the turn and there were people moving everything out of the room they had used. Fuck now what? He watched for a moment looking at the men's faces trying to see if he knew any one of them in more than passing. He didn't think he did so maybe he could just order them to turn over the computer.

He went to the door and stepped in looking around then over to where the computer was. It was still there. He went over to it and started packing the laptop up in a backpack that was close by. He had to get it out of here and somewhere where he was safe to use it. He couldn't use it here someone was bound to know what had happened and that he wasn't apart of the organization anymore.

He had everything packed up and walked out of the room amazed that no one questioned him. He went back the way he came and stood off to the side as he tried to think of where to go. Then it came to him.

The convoy that Teal had so callously had taken out was carrying a small amount of communication equipment. It should have the necessary equipment to link with a satellite and allow him to send a message to someone once he figured out who he needed to send it to.

He looked around and found that Lawson hadn't left yet. "Lawson!"

"Yes, sir." He snapped to attention.

"I need you to take me somewhere that is if you aren't busy with other orders."

"No, sir. I was just going to grab a sandwich and drink before returning to my post.'

"Go ahead and grab your food and eat it on the drive. I'll just need you to drop me off then you can go." This would be perfect. He could get him to drop him off and then Lawson shouldn't be in contact with anyone for hours at least. That would hopefully be enough time.

"Are you sure you want me to leave you here, sir?" Lawson looked around at the convoy. He looked like he was going to throw up at any moment.

"I will be fine son. I just need to set up communications and get a message sent then wait for the reinforcements to arrive." He looked around in disgust too. Teal hadn't even had the bodies cleaned up. They still lie where they were killed. That man had no conscience what so ever. "I can tell that this is getting to you. You can go ahead and go." He clasped Lawson's shoulder. "War can be hard. You see, hear, touch and taste things no one should ever have to. You can still get out of this. You don't have to be a part of it unless you want to."