Chapter 6

Shannon had rolled Haley on her side and was brushing her hair. It was really long and he didn't want it to get all matted up. It had to be at least down to her butt. He ran his hand behind the brush to flatten the hair and felt how soft it was. He hadn't felt hair that soft. The women he was with always had so much hairspray and crap in their hair he couldn't even touch it. He liked the way it felt running through his fingers.
Haley felt someone brushing her hair. She moaned. Her head still hurt so bad but the slight tugging felt good. It somehow helped. She tried to open her eyes. Nope, it felt like they were glued shut. She tried again. Oh, god light! too much! too much! head is pounding.
Shannon jumped. She had made a sound. He gently rolled her onto her back. He could see she was trying to open her eyes. She opened them and shut them tight again. She looked like she was in pain.
"Oh, the light!" He got up and closed the curtain. He knew that look. It was the morning after partying way too hard look.
She opened her eyes just a little bit. Testing to make sure she could stand it. She looked around. She was in a small bedroom. It was furnished with just the bed, which was huge, it had cabinets and drawers built into the walls. One wall had a large mirror on it that faced the bed at just the right angle to see. Well someone is a bit kinky. She laughed to herself. And there was one small window.
She looked at the man that was taking care of her. Is that... no!...it can't be...is it?...she blinked and blinked again. Oh shit... it is...oh my god!...oh my god...that's Shannon Leto. I can't believe.... Then it hit her. Calm down you don't know if this is the same guy. You're in a different reality you don't know if people are the same here or not. He looks the same.
Ok, so what should she do? What should her story be? That was something she and Robert hadn't talked about was what her cover story should be.
"Glad you're awake. I was really worried about you?" Shannon said looking at her with a relieved smile.
What should she say?
He cleared his throat "My name is Shannon. I found you yesterday." He was still looking at her trying to get her to speak.
She didn't know what was safe to say. She decided not to say anything. She could do that. He didn't know the extent of her injuries, did he?
She smiled at him.
"Can you speak?"
She acted like she tried to speak then shook her head no and smiled again.
"Ok then. At least I know you can understand me." He sighed." Are you hungry? Or thirsty? I can get you something while we wait for Doc to come. She is going to want to look you over again now that you are awake."
She shook her head yes.
"Ok I'll be right back"
Haley watched him as he walked out and shut the door. She had a few minutes to think before he would be back. She, of course, couldn't tell anyone the truth of where she came from. No one would believe her anyway. And she obviously needed a place to stay until she figured out what the hell was going on and why would someone be after her.
Robert and the scientists didn't know how a traveler would make an entrance, so to speak, into a reality or how the person first coped with it. Could she have been here a while and not remember it? She didn't know and she couldn't ask until she knew more.
Shannon came back in with a tray full of food and some water and coffee.
"I didn't know what you liked so I got you some soup and toast and a sandwich. Here's some ice cold water and coffee." She looked up at him as he came back in. She has gorgeous eyes. Shannon thought. They were an unusual deep green. He could get lost in her eyes. He looked away.
Haley grabbed the water and gulped it down. She didn't realize how thirsty she was until she saw the water. It tasted so good.
"Whoa slow down. Don't drink so fast, don't want you to get sick before you can even taste Jared's cooking." He chuckled, "Tomo has been too busy today to cook."
"Doc said she would be here in a little while. She's finishing up the tests on your blood." Shannon paused for a minute. "I wish you could talk. I don't know what to talk to you about. I don't know if I'm boring you or if you really understand me. Or what." He sounded kind of sad to her.
Haley reached out and lay her hand on his arm to reassure him. He looked up and she smiled at him. His arm was tingling where she touched him. He felt his heart open just a little. What the heck was going on?
"You do understand, don't you?"
She shook her head yes. He smiled looking relieved. He didn't understand why or how he could already be having feelings for this woman, something just pulled him to her.