Chapter 9

Doc and Jared had done nothing but argue the last two days. It all started because Jared wanted to stop Shannon from going to the Keys with Haley. Doc had tried to be reasonable with him about it but he wasn't having it. Jared was being his typical control freak self. So she lost it once she had him alone on her bus. She told him, "you need to just let things unfold as they will. Shannon is a grown man and he can make his own decisions."
"I know he is but he's my brother and I have to look out for him. He doesn't always think things through."
She knew Jared was worried about Shannon and everyone. He was always looking over his shoulder. She had finally gotten him to shut up about it and let Shannon go without too much of a fight. Either she was going to have to tell Jared the truth about what was going on or Haley was. Jared was too suspicious and if he didn't get answers soon he would just walk away and wash his hands of it. And that would cause all hell to break loose. Jared would try to force Shannon to choose between him and Haley and she didn't think Jared would win this time.

As Doc sat there watching Jared climb back down the wall of the mountain, she was trying to figure out a way to tell him the truth about all this in a way he would understand and believe her. Hell if she hadn't seen it with her own eyes she wouldn't believe it either. She put her head in her hands and thought this is just hopeless he's going to think I'm crazy.

She was still lost in thought when she heard Jared's phone ringing. She ran inside the bus and grabbed it. It was Emma so she went ahead and answered it.
"Hey Emma, it's Doc. Jared is on the side of a mountain right now want me to give him a message?"
"Hanging out and resting huh." Emma said sarcastically. "Does he ever really sleep?"
"Not that I'm aware of." Doc laughed.
"Anyway, I got a call from a charity that would like Mars to play next week. It would only be a few songs. Their choice of which. It's in LA. They have 10 bands signed up already. I have to let them know by the end of the day."
"What does it benefit?"
"Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that. It's a combined charity for soldiers. The money will be divided between wounded warriors, widows, and children of wounded and dead soldiers."
"I'm sure he will do it, but we have to see if we can get ahold of Tomo and Shannon. Tomo is off running around with Vicki somewhere in the world. And Shannon is on some deserted island in the middle of the ocean." Doc half laughed, making it sound like she was joking. "I'm not sure when they planned on being back in LA."
"Hum well ok, then I'll tell them that we are going to sign up. We can always cancel if you can't find the guys. Won't look good but we can." She could hear Emma writing something down through the phone. "Well just have Jared call me when he gets down to confirm everything with me ok."
"Ok will do. Bye Emma"

_______________________________________________

Tomo and Vicki were in Little Rock. They had been there for two days waiting to be contacted by the Knights of the White Shadow. They were the part of the echelon that helped people. Tomo was hoping they would be able to give him some information on Haley.
They were eating lunch in a little diner when a teenage girl came up to them.
"Are you Tomo?" she asked shyly.
"Yes," he answered smiling at her.
"Can I have your autograph and a picture? I just love the band."
"Sure" he signed a piece of paper she had and took a picture with her phone. She set the phone down and gave him and Vicki a hug. Then quickly walked out.
Tomo looked down and saw that she had left her phone.
"Shit, she forgot her phone!" He got up to try to catch her. He walked outside but she was gone. He was about to go back in when he saw Vicki coming out and the phone dinged indicating it had a text message.

Go to the right of the diner one block to the park. Next to the swings is a bench under some trees have a seat. Someone will be there soon

"Come on babe we've got to go they just made contact."
They walked down to the park and did as instructed and waited and waited. Finally, just as the sun was beginning to set a couple walked up a sat down. Tomo had seen them walk by a few times over the last hour.
"Sorry about the wait but we had to make sure you weren't being watched." The man said.
"I get it." Tomo said but he was clearly aggravated. "So, do you have any information at all on Haley Stewart."
The man looked at the woman as if to get or give permission. Tomo wasn't sure. But the woman was the one to speak.
"She doesn't exist Tomo. We can't find any trace of her what so ever. Even if she had been scrubbed from the databases there should be some small something and there's nothing. Nothing at all. There isn't anyone good enough or a program good enough to get rid of all traces."
Tomo sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "Ok so what...what does it mean? What do we do?"
"I don't know what to tell you. Since she doesn't exist no one should be on her trail but it could also mean that they are on her and that she is something very special that they don't want anyone to know about. They want complete deniability. I don't know which."
"Ok have you had any indication that the A2 are watching us still?"
"There are still sporadic reports about the band but nothing specific. I would say that you still have that spy but they are laying low for the moment." The woman looked around then lowered her voice a little. "Tomo I would consider taking her to regression therapy. To try to get her memory back. That is if she's not bull shiting you." Her phone rang then. "Excuse me I have to take this it may pertain to you." She got up and moved away from them.
"She's not going to tell you all she knows." He said indicating the woman. "They know about the light in the desert that night and they know that you guys were heading toward El Paso at the same time. What we don't know for sure is if they have put it together. Be careful and watch what you do and say. Keep her as hidden as long as you can. That's all I can tell you." The man shuts up and acted like he had just been coughing.
"I'm sorry we have to go. Tomo we will be contacting you at the concert in a few days if we have any new information ok. Look for a signal from us." They walked away.