Chapter 21

"What happened?" The redhead asked.

"I was able to get a smoke grenade in and Jared used it as cover, at the same time Ghosts attacked. I managed to get Dr. Teal and a few others to safety in the caves."

"That worked out nicely then." She said smiling

"Yes, it did."

"What's your first name Davenport?" She asked sweetly.

"Ummm No one has a called me by it since I was in high school."

"Well, I want to call you something other than Davenport. So either you tell me your first name or I make something up."

"Jake." That sounded so strange to hear his name even coming from his own tongue. It had been so long.

"Nice to meet you, Jake." He liked the way it made him feel when she said it. "My name is Brita."

"Beautiful name for a beautiful woman."

"What?" She was blushing.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to overstep my bounds, but it's true."

"Thank you."

They continued to talk for hours about everything and about nothing. He felt comfortable with her. She seemed to feel the same. They had a lot in common. He wondered how she felt about the A2. She seemed to have the same doubts too, but he didn't ask. The last thing he wanted was to find out this was a trap. Maybe he would ask next time.

"I have to go Jake. I enjoyed our talk."

"Me too."

"You want to do it again tomorrow?"

"Sure."

"I'll call you once I'm free, ok."

"Ok, good night Brita."

"Good night, Jake."

________

It took two more days for Jared, Haley, Dwight and the ghost team to make it back to the campground. Dr. Teal had sent more soldiers out to find them so they had to change the extraction point several times. By then Haley was alert and could whisper although she didn't talk unless she absolutely had to. She wouldn't let anyone touch her except Jared. He had tried to get her to let the medic check her out but she had almost broken her neck trying to get away from him.

He felt like they had gotten closer even though they hadn't really talked. Well, that's not true he had talked to her. He tried to take her mind off of everything going on. He tried to be funny and make her laugh and he told her stories about himself and Shannon. He would try to get her to eat and give her water whenever they stopped to rest. Then this morning when she had a nightmare and he put his arms around her and tried to soothe her. He thought he had gotten through until she stiffened up in his arms but she didn't try to get away from him. God, he hoped she didn't have any problem with Shannon holding her. It would devastate him if she did.

Finally, later in the day, they had been able to get to a rendezvous point and get evacted out. They pulled into the campground and Jared had them taken straight to her and Shannon's cabin.

Jessie came running up behind them as the truck pulled to a stop. "Jared, how is she?"

Jared carried her straight into the bedroom. "Physically just scrapes and bruises as far as I can tell. She wouldn't let the medic touch her. She wouldn't let anyone touch her but me. She has nightmares. She just let me hold her this morning for the first time."

Jessie let out a breath.She gave Jared a look that was worried but tried to be reassuring at the same time. "Ok, go get Shannon while I examine her. He's probably in the gym beating the shit out of the bags." He started to walk out. "He's really angry Jared."