Views

Today, was going to be one of the hardest days of my life. As chief, I was obligated to view the body and give my condolences to the family of the deceased. In this case, the deceased was my family. I asked Justin to come with me, to help me point out any flaws, if any, when we view.

As much as I wanted Bruno to come, I never mentioned it to him. I couldn't bring my lover with me. It'd be even more harder. He makes me emotional, which is a good and sometimes a bad thing.

With my hair pulled back tight, in a neatly done bun, I walk into the morgue with my black blazer with a white undershirt and gray slacks. Along with paperwork in my arms, pressed tightly against my chest. I kept my lips pursed. I waited with Justin in the waiting room, as we waited for my father and mother to arrive. "Where are they? They were supposed to be 20 minutes ago!" I say, pacing back and forth in the room, while Justin slouched in his chair with his hand over his mouth. "They're probably just running a little late, Genevieve." "To see their dead daughter?! I specifically told them to be here at one o'clock! Not one o'five, not one-thirty. One o'clock, on the dot, was the damn agreement. My God, how could they be so selfish?" "Sounds to me, you're more anxious to see the body than they are. They are the parents. It's a lot to deal with, Eve, and maybe you won't understand until you have some of your own." I crossed my arms and said, "Don't pull that shit with me, Justin." He shrugged his shoulders and twisted his lip. "I'm just saying, Genevieve. Do you even want kids?" Justin suddenly asked. "No." I quickly answered, but his eyes were still attached to me. "Maybe" I loosen up a little. "I don't know...but that doesn't matter right now." I wave my hand.

I step outside the waiting room and look to my right and the hallway was empty. I turn my head to the left and see my parents walking down. "It's about time." I say to myself.

I motioned to Justin to come out of the room and meet with my parents. "Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds, thank you for joining us on this occasions. If you feel uncomfortable at anytime, you are allowed to leave the viewing room." I say. "I've asked my collegue, Justin Richards to join us today, and he will help me observe the final autopsy on the body of Genesis Reynolds-Longhorn. Do you have any questions for me or Justin?" They both shook their head and mumbled "No." I clasped my hands together and say, "Good. Follow me."

We all walked down the hall, which was very quiet. Not a breath could be heard, but only the steps of our feet. We turned a corner and the first door on the right, was our designated room.

"Hello, you must be Chief Genevieve Reynolds." The mortitionist greeted me as I walked inside. "Yes I am. This is my colleague, Justin Richards, and these are the parents of the victim." I say to him. "Good afternoon." He says to my parents. "My name is Winston Hansen. I'm sad we have to meet in this particular type of situation, but I think it will be a relief on you, to see your daughter." "Thank you." My parents murmured.

We walked farther inside the room and lying on the table was Genesis' body with a sheet on top of her. "Just to forewarn you, the wounds on the body have been cleaned but may still be difficult to witness." Hansen pulled the sheet from over her head but kept her body covered. Eye lids closed and it appeared that she were smiling. She was really at peace. "I can't do this." My mother covered her mouth. She exited the room and my father followed her to comfort her. Justin and I watched them walk out and when they were gone I insited, "Let me see the whole body." I say with no emotion. Hansen knew that as a Chief, I had to act as if it didn't bother, but honestly, I wanted to leave just as bad.

When I started viewing my sisters corpse, I began to think. Who could have this much hate towards a human being? To not only stab them, but the amount of times. The wounds spread up from her collarbone to her thighs. I counted aloud, "One....two...." Then to myself, "Six....seven....eight."

I look at Winston and said, "She had eleven visible stab wounds." He nodded his head. "But if Brandons death was ruled a suicide, do you think he killed her?" I turned and asked Justin. "He could be a suspect, but I wouldn't quickly narrow it down to him. We don't know if Genesis had any enemies, or at least any that considered her one." He said. "You're right." I turn back to Hensen. "Send me her death certification, along with Brandons. We'll continue the search." I put my hand out to him and say, "Thank you for giving us the opportunity, we really appreciate it."

Justin and I walk out of the room to see my mother sobbing. I walk up to her and my father and honestly didn't know what to say. All I could do was just...stand there. Eventually, I rubbed my mother's back and said, "She's at peace, and I will make sure you will do the same. I won't give up." "You've always been a fighter baby girl." She pressed the tissue to her nose. "Yeah, I guess so. Go home and get some rest. I'll talk to you guys later." I patted her back, and then just looked at my father. No words exchanged.

As Justin and I walked down the hall to leave the morgue, I thought to myself, If it were me, laying on that table, cold, breathless, and lifeless, would they react the same way? Or would they throw me away like they did for my whole life? It was something to really think about.