Split

Bruno was the kind of person who had a very low tolerance for pain, so when stitching him back together, he was put under a heavy anesthetic. The stitching process took about thirty minutes, but when waiting to see him, felt like thirty hours. I didn't call anyone, I wanted it to just be me and him, because I felt like this was my fault. The person who killed my sister, possibly Quinn Spencer, was the same person who attempted to kill the love of my life. They're trying to break me. I had to admit, they were doing just that.

When they wheeled Bruno into his room, they had me stay outside until his anesthetic wore off, which would only took about ten minutes. I watched him through the glass, and from the distance, I could see him opening his eyes, becoming more and more aware of his surroundings. "Okay, Ms. Reynolds, you are now eligible to see Mr. Hernandez." The nurse said.

When I walked in, his eyes met mine, but they drifted away. I pulled up a chair and sat by his side. "I'm happy you're doing better." Bruno refused to look at me, and had his eyes focused on the ceiling. "You know what they told me before they put me under anesthetic, Genevieve?" My throat was dry and closed on me, I could barely speak. "They said, You're lucky to be alive Mr. Hernandez. You lost a great amount of blood. The cut was so deep, we had visual of some cartilage. I could've been killed, Genevieve." "Bruno...I didn't mean for any of this to happen." "But it did, Genevieve. It did. I can't do this anymore."

I grabbed his hand and said, "Oh baby, that's just the anesthetic talking." "It's not the fucking medication. This is me, fully aware. I can't do this anymore. Never in my life, have I been threatened in this manner or has anyone ever tried to make an attempt, until I met you." I sat with my head down. "I'm sitting here, taking bullets for you, taking knives to the chest for you, Genevieve, because I love you, but things are easier said than done. I've worked too hard." His eyes were building tears. "I've worked too hard to let love, let alone, that person I love, take away everything I have." "What do you want to do at this point then? Leave me? Leave me and your child? Bruno I know you're scared, but how do you think I feel? I'm trying my best here, but if this is just too much, I'm sorry. Maybe I'm just too deadly for you." I stood to my feet. "You always told me that no matter the circumstances, you'd stick around, but now that things don't accommodate your satisfaction, you're done? No, baby, I'm not letting that happen. I'll give you your space, but us, what we have right here, isn't ending." I put my purse on my shoulder. "I'll be back tomorrow. Rest up, you're going to need it."