The Morning

After a difficult night of sleeping, thinking of the argument Bruno and I had the night before, caused me to be sluggish, and no amount of coffee could get me through the day. Even though I was still quite livid about him considering in leaving me, I still took time to see him. I had to see him. I wanted to see him heal.

I knocked on the door and said, "Hey, good morning." I smiled. "Morning." his voice was raspy. I came to the side of the bed and pulled up a chair and asked, "How are you feeling?" "Mmm, I feel the same." His curls were still tight, but there were always a few that were out of place. I wrapped my index finger in his hair, and tighten his natural curl. "I always liked it when you played in my hair." He said. I pulled my hand back set it back on my lap. "Don't sweet talk me, Bruno. I'm just here for support." "No matter what, you're always going to be mine." "That's not how you felt last night." "I was angry, Genevieve, what did you expect?" "I expected you to be grateful. I expected you to not consider in leaving me. I never asked for any of this." I said. "None of us did. I was a dick, I'll be upfront about it. I just want this to all be over." I put my hand on his, and said, "I do too, but we have to stick together. Because at the end of day, I'm terrified. I'm scared to go to sleep. No expecting mother should ever feel that way." "I won't let the mother of my child feel that way. I'm going to get better, and so are we. I promise."

"Hello" I turned my attention to the door. Damian and Justin walked in. "Wha-what are you two doing here?" I asked. "We saw the news" Justin said. "I mean, he is a high end celebrity." Damian added. "We brought you some flowers." Justin set a bouquet of flowers down on the table. "I even baked a special cake. Cherry Blossom upside down cake. My mom's specialty. I hope you like it." Damian smiled.

"How are you feeling Bruno?" Justin hovered over him. "I...still feel like shit." He grunted. "You're a strong man, though." Damian smiled. "Built like a brick wall. May crack, but won't fall." Bruno chuckled, and took a deep breath. "Well, I hope you enjoy the cake and the flowers." Damian said. "We have to run some errands." "Okay. You two drive safe." I said. Justin came over to hug me and whispered, "You call me if you need anything." "I will" Just as I was about to release Justin from my embrace, he held me closer. "Don't move. Don't react." He slowly moved he hand down my back, and put something in my back pocket. He patted it and said, "Your life depends on it." He released me from his embrace and walked out of the room with Damian.

"Did he-" Bruno appeared angry. "Did that motherfucker just pat you on the ass?" I put my hand up, telling him to be quiet. I went in my back pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. I unwrapped it gently and it read,

"Watch your back."

As I read it, the blood in my body rose.

I dropped the paper from my hand, standing with blood boiling under my skin. I couldn't believe it.

*Flashback*

"They're a metal head, cold as can be. But they're bright as a rainbow, so humble you can see. Don't be fooled, don't be so quick to believe, because they're studying you, and they're ready to take you out, Eve. I can't tell you a name, because snitches get stitches, but here, the snitches get thrown in ditches. I'm sorry I can't give you what you want, but you're a smart girl, and when you put the pieces together, the evidence will unfurl."

*Present*

I remembered the words Wyatt told me before he was killed. I began to pace back and forth. "Genevieve, what is the problem." I would stop, believing I had my theory, but realized it was bogus, so I continued to pace. "Dammit, Eve, what is it-" "It can't be." I said. "Wha-what the hell are you talking about?" "It couldn't have been Justin." I handed him the paper and Bruno read it aloud. "He did this to me..." Bruno crushed the paper in his fist. "That...motherfucker." he grew angrier. "But wait." I said putting my hand up, mid air. "It hasn't been confirmed." I said. "Confirmed? Justin gave you a note, put in your pocket and leaves. That's enough confirmation, don't you think?" "The one thing about a killer is that they lure you in, to the wrong place. We can't be easily persuaded. That's what they want us to do." "Who do you think it is?" "I don't know. This is just so hard, Bruno. It's so frustrating."