Puzzled

Bruno and I were killing it on the dance floor. With his funky rhythm and my energized soul, we were living. All we could do was laugh within the crowd all around us. This was who we were. This is who I loved. He was the love of my life. He...was my best friend, when the others left.

"Let's go get some water." Bruno said. We stepped off the dance floor, hands locked and walked over to a table with cups of water. We stood to the side of the table, chugging down our water. "Babe, you have some water on your chin." Bruno said. He grabbed a napkin and dabbed it against my chin. Looking as focused as he did, he stopped to turn around as if someone tapped him. Surely enough, someone did. Veronica.

"Hey Bruno." She smiled. "Hello Eve." The fact that she approached Bruno first, not knowing him well, whereas I am her boss, made me sick and angry. "It's Genevieve." I suppose she didn't hear my statement given the fact that she put her attention back to Bruno. "Bruno, can I talk with you in private?" "Whatever you have to say to my boyfriend, can be said in front of me." I chimed in. "I'm sorry...." He couldn't seem to remember her name "Veronica." I said to him. "Veronica...but I'll have to pass. If there's anything you need to ask, Genevieve is the person to ask. Now, if you'll excuse us." Bruno locked his arm with mine. "We need to burn up the dance floor again."
____________________________________

Just as we left banquet, Bruno was behind the wheel driving, while I was ranting on about the whole night. "I can't believe that whore tried to talk to you in private. Like who the hell does she think she is?" Bruno laughed. "Maybe she thought I was going to give her something. If you know what I mean." "She better watch herself. She's really pushing it with me." One hand on the wheel, Bruno put the other hand on my thigh. "Baby, I know you're upset. I'd be upset too if the roles were reversed, but don't give her the reaction she wants. Be professional. Always." I put my hand on top of his and said, "You're right."

The car began to rumble and make strange noises. "What's going on?" Bruno quickly put two hands on the wheel, trying to gain control. "I don't know..." He panicked. Seeing Bruno scared....bothered me, to my core. "Pump the brakes." I said, trying to be calm. "Genevieve! It's not working! The brakes aren't working! What the hell?!" I found it strange that now that we were traveling at a higher speed, the brakes were failing. "We're going to have to crash." I say. "Are you fucking insane?" "Well do you have any better ideas? Just do something to bring us to a steady stop. I'll pay for the damages." "I'm not putting you in danger, Genevieve!" We were coming up to a stop light with heavy traffic. We had no choice.

At the split second, Bruno turned the car towards the drivers side so he would get hit, and not me. But just as we made contact with another automobile, well, everything was a blur.