Chapter 7 Alpha

(1182 words) 

I move over to go open the door and upon opening it I see Chevy smiling up at me. Her short black hair looks windswept thought she always looks a bit of a mess.

"Hey Chevy" I smiled, "What's up"

"Alpha wants to see the human-girl" she smiled, "I brought her some clothes by the way. Things that are too small for me. Bit more presentable when she goes to see Matt, last time she didn't leave the best impression"

"Thanks Chev" I smiled, opening the door wider. Being the nosy person that the sixteen year old was, her eyes immediately searched the room for Lily. When it fell on her, the girl's smile even widened more.

She moved past me and headed to Lily, who leaned a bit back.

"Hi, I'm Chevy" she said and held out the clothes, "Brought you some things to wear"

The excitement in her voice actually made me chuckle. Chevy had just recently turned and thus, still had the memory of being a dormant.

"Hi" Lily smiled, her voice lightly shaking, "Thank you" She took the clothes, looking down excitedly at them.

"Okay, well it's nice to meet you – maybe we can hang out sometime?" she said while walking to the door. She knew that if she continued to stay, Matt would just be waiting longer. An angry alpha is never a good thing.

She leaves and I close the door behind her. Once she leaves, Lily isn't hesitant on getting dressed in the clothes. Chevy had brought over a pair of shorts and a maroon top. The clothes were a bit too big for the girl but it was better than wearing my shirts.

"You look good" I smiled once she's finished.

"Thanks" her smile says it all. That, and also the slow redness that creeps to her cheeks.

"You ready?" I ask and I watch the smile disappear instantly. She's still hesitant to meet Matt and I can only imagine why. Yet she nods, knowing that she has no other choice.

She walks towards the door, me opening it for her. I take hold of her arm, trying to not tighten my grip like I've done previously. She looks like a Smurf at the moment with all the bruises and it makes me feel guilty. About three quarters of them are my fault.

As we make our way down the hallway, I see Lily glancing around at everything. When she was conscious and had walked this way, she hadn't looked anywhere but her feet. But now, now her eyes darted around as if she was trying to suck in every aspect of the third floor. Well, it was a pretty boring floor thought. Just a bunch of closed bedroom doors and pictures of how the pack had begun. All the pictures are in grey and just reveal how we had gotten our pack name as well as reputation. Let's just say, our ancestors were pricks. You killed to get your position and if someone even just looked at you in the wrong way, they were attacked.

We head down the stairs to the second floor where Matt's office is. The second floor is reserved for the alpha and the alpha's family and guards. We third floorers are the betas and omegas. I had somehow gotten to be an omega, the sole purpose of my ranking to take the role as alpha when the alpha or both betas decide to leave. The chances of that happening is zilch, nada and frankly, I feel no need to be an alpha. All Matt does is just fix the packs' messes. It's like being an overgrown babysitter.

No thank you.

We head down the hallway, the guards kind of intimidating Lily. She shrinks into herself, looking down at the floor.

"Is Matt in?" I ask Jared. He nods and opens the door for us.

Sitting behind the large oak desk - the legs carved to look like wolves howling at the moon – sat my alpha. Matt had been alpha for about five years now after his dad had grown ill.

When Matt saw us enter, he stood up. His eyes captured Lily, those orbs following her movement as I guided her to the middle of the room. It looked as if she was going to run away at any moment.

"Well, if it isn't the Moonlight member" Matt said, sounding a lot friendlier than he usually would, "Sit down" He gestured to the seat in front of him before going to sit back down. Lily obeyed his orders, slipping her arm out of my hand and taking a seat in the chair. I swear five of her could fit into the thing.

"Chase" Matt said, glancing at me. I nodded, moving to go stand next to him. Matt gave Lily another smile before his face morphed into the expressionless features we all knew too well.

XXX

My eyes widened with the sudden change in the alpha's expression. I moved around in the overlarge chair, feeling a shiver run down my spine.

"What's your name?"

"Li-Lily" stupid stutter... No stuttering now, "Lily Chambers"

"And why did you decide to cross the territory line?"

"It wasn't a decision" I gulp. Well, that went from stuttering squirrel to big mouth really quick... I glance over at Chase but he's not looking at me. Instead he stands at attention, staring straight ahead.

"Continue" the alpha says, his voice the optimum for not impressed.

"It... it had been a mistake. My... my pack was running and I guess Felix wasn't paying attention to - to where he was going. So I – I (take a deep breath Lily) I went ahead to try and stop them from crossing the boundary, not realizing that I had crossed it myself"

"I assume Felix is your alpha?"

"Future Alpha sir"

The Alpha nods, actually taking the time to write the name down on a piece of paper.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty, turning twenty one in September" I said, realising that I only had another three months to go.

"And who is your mate?"

"I haven't turned yet, so I don't know" I say. Upon that the alpha turns to Chase and they share a look before he turns back to me, "How old is Felix?"

"Why?" I ask, biting my lip.

"Need to know when we'll start having problems with the new alpha"

"He won't cause any trouble, sir" I say, gulping.

The alpha shrugs and repeats his question. "Twenty one sir" I say, looking down at my feet. Was I even allowed to give information away like that?

"And you said you haven't turned yet, is that correct?"

"Yes"

"Why haven't you?"

"I don't know sir" Who would know? What kind of game is this alpha playing at?

"Any hints of the power manifesting?"

I shake my head, not knowing what I am actually supposed to be feeling. Or whatever "hints" this guy is talking about. Once again the alpha nods and then turns to Chase, "Escort her back to the room and then come back"

He nods and I get up from my chair. He walks with me, both of us quiet.