Chapter 8 The days before

Okay so the above humanoid is Felix aka another random guy

1042 words

Last day of uni, flipping finally! I make my way out of the building taking a quick scan over the crowd. Kyle was making out with Rebecca, they having figured out about being mates last Friday. Some of the humans are trying to make conversation with our kind, they struggling to keep the wolves entertained.

Speaking of humans. My hands fall on the small blonde girl who is walking against the wall, clearly in a rush seeing that her short shoulder length hair looks windswept. Probably to avoid being tormented.

Too bad squirrel girl. Too bad...

I head over to her and as catch her peeking through her waves, rolling her eyes.

"Hey squirrel girl, you have any nuts to spare?"                 

"Why, you need some?" she says, grinning.

"That's a good one, I'm impressed" I smile, "Doesn't help your shifting thought does it?"

"I don't need to shift to kick you where you need some nuts" she snaps, turning towards me.

I let out a growl, "You need to learn some respect little squirrel"

Pushing my body against hers, an angered heat filled my body. She always had this effect on me. Always made me angry.

"Leave me alone Felix" she said, trying to push me off of her.

"Apologise" I growled, my hands starting to shake.

"Go screw Jenna" she said, glaring at me, "And leave me alone" she said, pushing hard.

"I said apologise" I said, feeling my nails growing sharper. I didn't like when people insulted me and even thought Lily and I tormented each other all the time, tonight was a full moon. Full moons always heightened wolf senses thought we'd preferred to shift every night.

"Sorry" she said but it sounded sarcastic. I growled, letting her go once I noticed we've gathered a crowd.

Note to self – don't banter on university grounds when there's a full moon. A hand wrapped around my wrist and as I turned, I saw Jenny standing behind me. She looked concerned thought when glancing at squirrel-girl she just looked annoyed.

"Sorry babe" I said, moving away from the girl and towards my girlfriend. Jenna and I had been dating since we were thirteen. She was perfect, also having shifted when she was born with black hair and chocolate coloured eyes. I wrap my arm around her shoulder, giving her a hug. But her attention isn't on me. It's trained on Lily.

"Leave my boyfriend alone, got that?" she said, letting out a low growl.

"Tell him that" Lily says, fixing the strap on her backpack.

"What did you say!?"

"Just leave me alone guys" she said, starting to walk away. I hold my girlfriend back, knowing that Jenny had a habit of wolfing out when she got jealous.

"I really hate that girl" she groaned, looking up at me.

"She's harmless" I said, tightening my hug.

"Still, she needs to be taught a lesson"

I looked at the retreating girl, Jenny's words repeating in my brain. Maybe she did need to be taught a lesson...

XXX

When Chase returns for what feels like an eternity I feel as if I might explode because of boredom. There's literally nothing to do in the room except think. And I'm tired of thinking. My body is itching to go outside into the fresh air. The whole afternoon I had just been stuck on the bed or pacing around the room. I had even re-organised the cupboard, noticing that there wasn't a lot in there but did manage to find a pair of overly big sweatpants which I can wear when it gets colder.

"Hey" he smiles as he comes in. He is carrying a bowl filled with macaroni and cheese. He goes to sit next to me, handing it over along with a cup of coffee.

"What did the alpha say?" I ask, taking a sip of the godly liquid.

"Just pack stuff" he shrugs, clearly not wanting to talk about it, "Listen, there's a pack meeting tonight because of the whole full moon thing that's coming up"

I only nod, taking a forkful of pasta.

"The meeting is going to be held in the woods so please don't try and escape. They will hunt you down and it's not going to be pretty. The alpha is also not going to like you having snuck out twice and then you'll be put into his custody"

The words weigh on my shoulders and I swallow hard. Images of torture go through my mind and from goodness know what origin, a growl erupts in my throat. Chase frowns at me thought he doesn't say anything.

"Sorry" I grumble, taking another bite of my dinner.

"No worries" he chuckles, "You going to be okay alone?"

I nod, "Probably just be sleeping" I respond, though I'm really not tired. My body is so used to only going to bed at like three in the morning and wake up at seven that I know it'll take forever to actually fall asleep.

"I can get you a book or something to keep you busy?" he suggests and my face immediately lights up. He sees it and with a chuckle, he gets off of the bed. He leaves the room and a few moments' later returns with an old battered copy of what looks like The Hunger Games.

Fitting, both characters stuck in a place and being able to climb trees.

"Hope it's alright" Chase said, "Got it from Chevy. She's obsessed"

"It's perfect, thank you" I said, putting the book down next to me. Chase leaves after telling me once more to not run away and then I'm left to my own devises. I finish my dinner before diving into the book.

The room gets darker after a while and I begin to realise that night has fallen. Sometimes I hear howls erupting from the outside but I'm able to ignore them. Growing up with wolves makes you used to their ways.

I'm about halfway with the book when I go take another shower, getting dressed once again in one of Chase's t-shirts. Then I scamper into bed, taking hold of the books once again. Somewhere through the reading and hearing of howls, I drift off into slumber.