Chapter 10 Visitors

892 words

Once Chase leaves, I don't see him for the rest of the day. When he had left I had stayed in the bed, preparing myself for when he might come back. When it seemed like he wouldn't, I got out, my body fidgety and overheated.

This basically led me to take a cold shower and get dressed in the shorts and shirt from yesterday. Chase's clothes just keeps reminding me of him and I need to get focused on actually properly getting out of this place. I wanted to get back home, turn and meet my mate. My mate – the person I'm supposed to be crushing over.

Not some asshole who had kidnapped me.

The rest of the day I had just spent trying to come up with ways of how to escape without getting captured. They know my tactics by now. Using the trees and they'll be prepared for that. Maybe if I go by foot? Thought I'm not fast and because of my feet being stubborn with the ground, I'll probably fall more times than actually run.

My ideas become more and more idiotic as the day continues. I swear at one stage I actually came up the idea to learn how to speak bird and let them fly me there. This is what boredom does to me.

When I'm not thinking up stupid ideas, I read and try and "clean/organise" the room. This basically just means I made the bed and moved the six products in the bathroom around. I also spent a remarkable time starring out of the window and imagining what it would be like to actually be free.

I feel like Rapunzel without the paint.

When the sun starts to set and I feel like my brain is going to explode the door finally unclicks. The girl from yesterday, Chevy I think, enters, carrying a plate of food and another pair of clothes, these actually having some underwear.

"Hey" she smiles at me overeagerly, "I brought you your dins and also some more clothes"

She hands me over the things, me thanking her.

"What have you been up to all day?" she grins at me, flopping herself on the bed next to me.

"Just thinking and reading" I shrug, "And you?"

"Went to school. So stupid – I mean, okay, so I turned like right in the middle of midterms so of course I was out of it. But does the school care – nope. So now I'm stuck with summer school. It's mind-numbingly boring. They got the worst of the worst teachers to give us class..." the girl talks throughout my whole dinner. But I don't mind, it's actually nice to hear normal conversation.

Chevy seems like a nice girl. Bit on the overexcited side but she's only sixteen. It's understandable.

"... so this afternoon – while watching McKenzie (a show she had spent a whole ten minutes talking about. I made a mental note to download it), Chase comes in and asks me to give you your dins. Don't know what's going on with him"

With the mention of my kidnapper, my ears pricks up.

"What did you ask him?" I ask, trying not to sound too eager.

"Just asked why he can't and where he's been all day. His hands were shaking so I think he's just been wolfing out the whole day but still, he's supposed to be here with you. Like the past few days he hasn't left you alone and now suddenly he just – it's really weird. He just shrugged and told me to do it. Really rudely I might add"

Chevy moves the topic to something else but my mind stays with Chase. It irritated me yet I can't stop thinking about him.

A sudden knock on the door makes Chevy stops talking for the first time since she entered the room.

"Chev, your mom is looking for you" Chase says as he comes into the room. He looks at the girl, folding his arms.

"O dammit, I was supposed to be home at seven" she groaned, glancing down at her wrist watch. She was two hours late. The girl gives me an unexpected hug before rushing out of the room, leaving me and Chase alone.

"How was your day?" he asks, closing the door.

"Good, boring"

He nods, not looking at me.

"Where were you today?" I ask, hoping to actually get an answer instead of a shrug.

"Went to do border patrol" he says, "Need to make sure no others cross"

I nod, the air filling up with a cloud of discomfort. I swear I'd prefer he had just killed me then let me suffer through this.

"Lily" he finally says and for once in this whole time, he actually looks at me, "I'm sorry about last night"

"It's okay"

"No it's not. I shouldn't have put you in a position like that. Actually, I should have never placed you in positions like that. It was unprofessional and disrespectful"

"It's okay, it's done now" I say, biting my lip.

"I'm really sorry"

"I know you are and it's okay" I said, kind of just wanting the conversation over. Chase nods, his hand still lingering on the door knob. I can see he's frustrated, unsure of what to do next. All we've ever been doing was have awkward moments with one another. Once that's gone, what's actually left?