Chapter 18 - Bath tub

Okay, so this chapter is a bit on the boring side (sue me) but only because there's some character development happening. Also, like in all my previous chapters - subtle hints about what's going to happen in the book is given. 

So, just read and enjoy. It's a nice chapter. Or I think it is :) 

Loves you lots

A9 

826 words

________________________________________________

"Means you're going to shift"

I frown at Chase, expecting that he might just yell GOTCHA at any moment.

"What?"

"You're going to shift Lily" he says. My heart starts to speed up and I can feel the stinging pain from the heat starting up once again.

"But in my pack they've never experienced the 'heat'."

"Maybe they have. As far as my knowledge stretches, only the women get it. And no offence but its Moonlight. You guys seem to be able to mate only within your own pack. So, your pack's members can find their mates easier"

"Then why is this happening to me?" I breathe, feeling the heat increasing once again.

"You really want me to answer that?" He looks at me, his eyes full of guilt.

'It's because you took me away?" I asked, the water starting to steam around me once more. Chase nods, biting his lip.

"What's going to happen now?" I asked, not daring to look at him.

"Well, tomorrow night is the full moon"

"I'm going to shift?"

Chase nods and an unsettling sense of fear crawls into my hurt.

"Don't worry, it's not so bad" he said, placing a hand over mine.

"Really?" I asked, turning towards him.

He nodded, "It's actually pretty great" he says and I can see his mind is wandering.

I sit up straight, the only sound our breaths. Chase is far off, probably thinking of his first shift. When I move, the water swishes on the sides of the tub and it draws his attention back to me.

"Want to hear about it?"

I nod, sitting up straighter. He gives me a light smile, squeezing my hand.

XXX

I watch as the sun surrenders the sky, going to go hide behind the mountains in an explosion of colours. I turn towards Matt, he grinning at me excitedly.

He had turned when he was twelve and well, he was pretty experienced in it.

"Come on – take a deep breath and then, just let the wolf get you" he grinned, his bones already starting to crack. I nod, trying to not look scared. Come on – I'm sixteen. This is going to be a piece of cake.

Taking a deep breath as instructed I let the werewolf gene awaken. It only takes a few seconds before my nails start to grow. It's a weird tingling feeling, slightly painful but that's probably because I'm a late shifter. The cracking increases and hair starts to sprout everywhere. A tear lets me know my shorts have been shredded. I can feel my tail bone lengthening and then I realise that I have actually gained a tail. And also that all four of my limbs had transformed into paws.

Letting out a bark I feel the glorious sensation of actually being a wolf. So much freedom and everything is so much clearer. My eye sight has increased magnificently and my ears can immediately pick up the pack who has already started moving through the woods.

I look over at Matt, seeing him grinning at me,

"Feel's good doesn't it?"

His words filter through my mind and it takes me a second to realise he is actually busy communicating with me.

"Feels flipping amazing" I grin at him, letting out an exciting howl.

"Wait till you go running" Matt starts moving, nudging his head to show I should follow. I'm not hesitant and as we start running, a feeling I've never felt before courses through my veins. O goodness, this feels amazing!

Every part of me feels like it's on fire. A tingling amazing feeling making me want to go even faster. When I pass Matt he only barks, laughing kind of at my excitement. The wind is whipping through my fur, my paws sinking into the soft ground beneath me.

"This is flipping amazing!" I yell, letting out another howl.

XXX

"...I spent about a week refusing to shift back. Matthew had to ask his dad to command me" he ends, a smile on his face.

My eyes were widened. I was actually excited for some weird reason. A shiver ran down my spine and I realised the heat had subsided.

"I'll get you a towel" Chase stands up and for a moment he disappears from the room before returning with the towel in hand. He wraps it around me, draining the bathtub once I got out.

"I'll get you some dry clothes" he smiles and I follow behind him. He throws over the pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt.

"I don't know when the heat will start up again but I don't want you to get sick" he smiles lightly.

"Thanks" I say, turning from him so I can get dressed.