16

"But, what if she doesn't like me?"

"Luke, I'm sure she'll like you."

"Yeah, but what if she doesn't?" Luke rambles. Today was the day Luke was meeting up with his mom and we in the car on our way.She invited him over to her house and Luke was a nervous wreck, to say the least.

"You're over thinking it. Just be yourself and don't let the past get the best of you," I try to calm him down.

Turn right in 20 feet

The JPS speaks. A hear a sigh from the boy beside me, "why did she choose her house? Why not a place where I didn't have to use a JPS?"

"I'm sure she has her reasons," I say.

Your destination is in zero point five miles.

"Almost there," he mumbles nervously.

A try to give a reassuring smile and put my hand on his. "You got this."

You have reached your destination.

"This must be it," he says turning into the driveway of a descent sized house. The neighborhood was filled with very similar houses, only being set a part by how they choose to keep up their yard and the paint color on their house.

"Pretty," I mumble.

I look over at Luke who is staring blankly at the house. We sit there for a few moments in silence, letting Luke take it all in.

After a few moments I hear him say, "I can't believe this is what she left for."

My face drops, "Luke don't-"

"Don't," he cuts me off. "Let's just go, El." He starts to get out of the car. A sigh escapes my lips as I follow him out of the car.

"You know," I begin while we walk to the door. "If you and your mom need to be alone I don't have to go with you. I would hate to intrude."

Luke's face gets stern and he stops in his place. "You are not intruding, okay? I need you right now."

I look down, "Okay."

We walk up and knock on the door. "Maybe she's not here," Luke starts back rambling. "Maybe she forgot, we should probably leave." He starts towards the car and grab his wrist stopping him.

"No, you have to-" but before I could finish the door opens and I see a blonde middle aged woman standing before me. Her face plastered with a small smile and her blue eyes (like Luke's) brighten at the sight of her son.

"Luke," she says and within seconds she wraps him in a hug. He hugs back and tucks his head down. I could tell he was holding back his emotions.

They separate and Luke's mom says a simple, "I've missed you."

Luke opens his mouth to speaks but decides against it and just shakes his head looking down. Her eye then go me and I immediately feel uncomfortable but a smile quickly appears on her tears eyes face.

"I'm sorry I'm Liz and you are...?" She says putting hand out.

I shake her hand. "Uh, I'm Ella. Me and Luke are-"

"She's my friend," Luke cuts me off, speaking for the first time since his mom opened the door. "I wanted her here."

"Oh, I see," Liz says keeping her smile from fading.

"Come on in," she says welcoming us into her house. Luke nudges me to follow him and we enter.

"I hope you don't mind," she says. "I decided to make some snacks for you guys." She motions to the snack tray say on the coffee table. I look around the clean, simple styled home. She has a simple black and white color scheme with a few pops of color here and there.