27

"Luke," I whisper-yell at the sleeping boy in front of me.

"Luke!" I shake him but still no budge. I sigh and roll my eyes. I look over and grab the pillow on the loveseat beside me and start repeatedly hitting him with it.

He finally stirs awake and open his eyes. "What the hell," he grumbles referring to me hitting him with a pillow.

"You wouldn't wake up," I shrug.

"What time is it?" He rubs his eyes and sits up on the couch.

"8:30," I rely. "Look, I want to do something today, but I want you with me."

"Okay, what is it?" Luke asks.

I sigh, "it's my dad."

***

It took no time to get ready after I explained to him what I wanted to do. I didn't want my mom to find out so I told my grandparents I was just showing Luke around the town.

Luke put on the Waterparks CD he brought from home. Powerless played quietly in background as I drove towards the hospital. My palms were sweaty and I felt a little shaky from nerves.

How bad is he? What if he really doesn't want to see me? These thoughts haunted me and were getting the best of me.

I pull over in a random parking lot. "I can't do this," I say weakly.

Luke looks up at me and grabs my hand. "El, you are one of the strongest people I know. You can do this, I believe in you."

"B-but what if he doesn't want to see me?" I stamper.

"I've never met the man," the Australian speaks. "But from what you told me, I'm sure he'll want to. In fact, I bet that he's been wanting to see you for a while now."

I'm quiet and look at how intertwined hands in my lap. "I'm scared."

He gives a sympathetic nod, "I understand. But you don't need to be."

"I'm scared about how bad he'll be. Bree says he's doing really bad, Luke. I don't know if I can handle that," my voice breaks.

"Don't you want to see him in general though... like good or bad. Besides, the worse he the more he probably needs his daughter."

I feel my eyes water and tear slide down my cheek.

"Hey look," Luke looks out the window in awe. "It's snowing."

"Oh yeah," I says. "It came later than usual this year." I say it nonchalantly but Luke still has the same mesmerized look in his blue eyes.

I find it odd, growing up I saw a lot of snow. It kinda made it less special, I guess. Then finally it clicks. "You've never seen snow before," I speak.

Luke shakes his head. "I live is Australia," he chuckles.

I smile at the boy. I get out of the car, walk to the other side and open the passenger side door. I extend my hand for Luke to grab. He does so and we walk towards the front the car and lean again the head lights.

"What do you think?" I ask the amusing boy. He looks around and up at the sky as if it's some kind of magic.

"It's so cold," He says sticking his tongue out to catch some flakes on his tongue.

"Well no duh," I tease. He puts his arm around me and I lean into him. The cold air gives up goosebumps on our skin but in that moment nothing really mattered.

We stood there for a little while, watching the light flakes fall to the ground. Not worrying about someone from our school driving by and catching us. It was what I needed then.