20

"Ella... Ella!" I am quickly snapped back into reality by Ashton's thick accent.

"Whoa, what? Sorry," I apologize.

"What's with you and Luke. You're both so zoned out," Lily says worriedly.

"What are you talking about, we're fine!" Luke defends.

It's currently lunch time and the day after mine and Luke's one day getaway... and the after our parents officially got engaged. Me and Luke were letting the situation set in, even though things were going so well just yesterday.

"If you say so," my friends shrugs, taking a sip from her water bottle.

"What we were saying was we were wanting to hang out after school around four or so," Ashton says. "Is your guys' house okay?"

"Oh-uh, yeah that should be fine, right Luke?" I turn my attention to the blond haired boy.

"Yeah uh, sounds good, I guess," he says before taking another bite of his apple.

"Okay, it's a plan," Calum concludes.

Finally the bell finally rings and we all stand up and separate. "You two alright," Michael whispers to me and Luke as we walk to the trash.

"Never been better," Luke snarks.

"Sorry..." Michael trails off and walks away.

"You did have to be so harsh to him," I whisper while throwing away my trash and turning around.

"Well sorry, maybe he should just start minding his own business," he snaps.

"What is wrong with you?" I say taken back.

"What's wrong with you? You know, if your so so protective over ol' Mikey, maybe you should just go fuck him! At least he's not gonna be your Stepbrother," he growls raising his voice.

"Oh my God, grow up!" I sigh and begin walking away before turning around one last time. "You're honestly no different than I thought you were when I first met you."

His eyes widen, "Yes I am!"

I scoff at his words. "Whatever Luke," I repeat myself before walking away, disappointed.

***

I could've rode home with Luke. I could've caught a ride with a friend but I honestly didn't want to talk to anybody right now. My mind was everywhere right now. From my mom's new found engagement, to my lunch room argument with Luke. Honestly though, wherever my mind wandered off too, it always came back to Luke. Every. Damn. Time.

I thought about that as I walked home. I was so deep in thought that I didn't even flinch when the rain began. My ear buds were turned up all the way in my ears and I was in no hurry what so ever.

I hardly noticed at first, when a car pulled up beside me. "Need a ride, princess?"

I looked up almost hoping to see Luke but instead seeing non other than Nick. "Just leave me alone I said quietly, not stopping nor speeding up. He kept his car the same pace as my walking.

"No, why are you walking by yourself, on the side of the street in the rain?" He asks.

"Because I felt like it," I answered quite honestly.