nine

ok so I hit 8k after the last update and it just hit 9k and I screamed like what to heck is happening holy god. just know I appreciate what you guys do for me so much it's insane. thank you! and I'll say this now bc I've gotten yelled at for it a million times already, I know calum is fucking kiwi

»

"So," Robin spoke once they were safely in the car, "was that the boy you were stuck there with?"

Emma rested her head against the window as the vehicle's engine was started. "Er," she said, "yeah. His name is Luke. He's pretty cool." She played with her fingers in her lap. "Can we go back to the pharmacy? I need to get my car-"

"-that will be taken away from you for at least a month," her mum said sternly, and Emma sighed. "Tonight is the only exception. You drive it home and then give me the keys, got it?" Her daughter nodded as they pulled into the pharmacy lot, where Luke's shiny vehicle sat in it's spot. Emma's fingers clasped around her door handle when Robin pulled up to her truck. "And, Emsy?"

Emma looked at her mum with a nod. "Yeah?"

Her mother looked at her knowingly before her eyes landed on a small car pulling into the parking lot as well, then back to her daughter with some sort of smirk. "Don't act like I didn't see you blushing when you were talking to him," she said smiling softly at her daughter. "You like him don't you?" Emma shook her head vigorously, though both of them knew she was lying. After a second of silence, she leaned over and kissed her mother on the cheek and climbed out the car. Heat struck her like a blow to the face. "Have fun with your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend," she shot back quickly before slamming the door and feeling her cheeks flush. Luke was next to his car, leaning against the car that'd dropped him off's driver's side window. She could see Ash was driving, Calum in the passengers' and Michael looking exhausted in the backseat. It was almost six in the morning. Instead of standing there like an idiot gawking at them, she moved towards her truck as her mum drove away.

Feeling her pockets, she found her keys but in her sleepiness she was struggling to get them out of her shorts and into her fingers. She heard Ash's car drive away, then footsteps behind her. Her hands fumbled with the keys as she sifted through them, her house key, gym locker key - which she didn't need, her best friend's extra emergency flat key, then finally, her car key. A pair of hands dug into her sides, making her jump and hit her head on the car door window.

Luke giggled. "Are you okay?" he asked, leaning against the side of her truck. Emma nodded nonchalantly, licking her lips and finally jamming the key into the slot, turning it and opening the door. "I want to kiss you, still." His eyes trailed to the decent amount of space in her one-seat truck, imagining pinning her to the leather, their sweaty skin sticking to it. Their breaths mingling together as he straddles her waist, twirling strands of her hair between his fingers.

"Luke?"

His big blue eyes snapped up and he blinked, moving his eyes away from the pale grey leather and landing on her bright green ones. "Sorry, sorry," he muttered, clearing his throat. "What did you say?"

Emma laughed softly, nudging him in the chest with her pointer finger. He caught her hand in his, and she was glad she wasn't the only one with a slightly sweaty palm from the Australian heat. "I said that you'll have to save it for the second date," she said, then blushed before continuing. "I don't kiss on the first date."

"Well, you don't actually kiss at all," he smirked with a teasing tone in his voice. She scoffed and shoved him, to which he sucked in his cheeks and made a face at. "I'd kiss you right now if I didn't have any morals. But I'm a gentleman, and will most definitely be taking you out within the next week so I can kiss you harder than anything." Luke grazed the back of his hand against her cheek, his knuckles sliding across the smooth skin. "Alright, I gotta' go, Em. If I don't go to sleep, I'll fall asleep at the wheel. I'll be texting you, alright? That is, if your phone's charged," he bit his lip, "Candyman."

She covered her mouth with her hand as she giggled. "Okay, Barney," she said, and leaned up to kiss him on the cheek like she'd done before. But this time, she lingered for a moment more and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Don't forget."

Luke nodded. "I won't."

As they pulled away, Emma's eyes wandered to his shirt as she watched him walk to his car, open the door and slide in. She did the same and sat for a moment, just smiling to herself happily, content that her relationship with him had gotten so strong. If there was one thing she realized, was that you can develop feelings for someone in less than twenty-four hours. Even if she didn't know his last name and he'd tried to make a move on her more than once.

She started her truck then immediately pulled out her phone from her pocket, plugging it into the car charger she kept as a backup in the glove department. Emma pulled out of the parking lot, letting her hair fall down her shoulders as she drove. It was silent, there were little to no cars on the road and she was smiling ear to ear. Things couldn't get any better. Well, other than the fact that she'd just gotten arrested and her car was to be taken from her for a month or more. Other than those small facts, she was extremely happy. And it was all because of Luke.

That night she laid in her bed, waiting for the text she was so excited to receive. She pulled the covers further onto her shoulders. And then a small ring alerted her. That smile slid back onto her face as an unknown number said Candyman! - Barney making her giggle, adding his contact and texting him for the rest of the night, until she drifted off into a long, uninterupted sleep.