twenty-one

poOoooOoOooOoo

I got to talk to so many of you on snapchat it was so great I had a lot of fun! you're all so beautiful (seriously it shocks me bc I'm like why aren't you a model) (why aren't you)

um last chapter was fun sara is pretty much me marie is sad and lonely which is also pretty much me

that's all I got to say so without further ado - why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? bc it's pointless (that one sucked bye)

this is the worst chapter in the history of updated I'm sorry guys this sucked :(

»

Eventually Marie decided Ashton sounded the most intriguing out of all of them and as Emma texted Luke to try to set up a blind date, she bit her fingernails nervously.

If she put herself out there more, Marie could get any guy she wanted at her toes with her charm and smile. Her easy brown eyes could catch the gaze of almost every single guy in the room if she didn't blush and look away. She was also the sweetest. On some occasions she helped out in the food kitchen (yeah, she was one of those girls). She'd give a homeless a granola bar. Not to mention that no matter where she went, she fit the part. The day Em met her, she was wearing a floral skirt and striped shirt - it wounds ridiculous, but it worked. Like everything did with Marie. It just worked.

Well, except boys.

Sara would say it was because they were too scared and shy to approach her, which in reality seemed far fetched but was completely true. Marie Zachary radiated with this whole aura of brightness and it was almost intimidating. Emma approached her nervously on that freshman day, asking if she had any classes with her so they could find their classes together as opposed to getting lost. They did, and that's where the friendship bloomed.

Ashton couldn't possibly end up liking her, could he? She'd been in ultimate denial that any male could like her since junior year and her first and only boyfriend lasted a week because she was terrified of signs of affection. He'd tried to hold her hand on day four and she freaked, laughing nervously and bolting to the toilets.

Maybe it was because she had a huge fear of rejection. If maybe she wasn't doing it right (was there a way to hold a hand wrong?) or he didn't like her like that. It was all just too over her head so she skipped out on boys for all of high school and the beginning of college. Now here she was, being set up on a blind date of all things.

"You're set for tonight, Mar," Emma squealed, pulling her up and doing a little happy dance. "Sara, go take her to get dressed for the date. Luke said he wants to take me to lunch."

It was the day after their sleepover. Luke had said he'd take her for lunch the day after the date, but couldn't because he was called into work. Then they both had something to do over the week, then this was their free day. It was good for both of them. Marie and Sara quickly packed their stuff up and scurried out of Em's house, grumbling about how she was cranky. She was just really excited.

She didn't feel like really worrying about her hair or makeup this time so she washed up in the shower before letting it air dry. Emma walked around in her towel, frantically trying to figure out what to wear. Finally, she picked out a nice outfit for the date. It was a white crochet singlet, some acid wash denim high waisted shorts, and her red Converse, since her white ones hadn't made it to the laundry room. In fact, she'd barely moved from bed since that night.

When she was dressed, she brushed out her hair and tied it in a ponytail. Then put on her E necklace that her father had given her, the silver letter popping against her tanned skin. She skipped makeup and walked out of her room, her charged phone and money in her pocket, for sure.

Her mother was sitting in the living room, dabbing her eyes. "Are you watching Dancing with the Stars?" Emma asked, and her mum nodded. "I bet you're crying over Bill Nye again." Robin threw a pillow at her.

"Where are you going all dressed up?" Nicole asked as she entered the room, a glass of orange juice in her hand, a banana in the other. "You look cute, in my shorts." Em mocked her, repeating her in a baby voice only for Nicole to do the same back. "Really, loser, where are you going?"

Emma bit at her bottom lip, rocking on her heels. "A date," she confessed, and her mum's ears practically perked up.

Robin smiled at her daughters. "You two are so grown up. Well, Nicole, you are. Emsy, I still worry about you," she pressed her lips together, looking at the two girls. They looked alike, but completely different. While Nicole's hair was a dark chestnut color, with brown eyes like their dad's, Em's was long and lighter, with the tips blonde, with green eyes that no one was sure where they came from.

"What?! Why?"

Nicole snorted, sitting down on the couch next to Mrs. King. "You fall down the stairs like everyday," she said, and their mum nodded in agreement. "And, you have the attention span of a gnat. I'll be talking to you about something, then you'll point out the window and tell me there's a fire truck."

Scoffing, Em crossed her arms over her chest, looking at her relatives. "I was adopted. You people hate me," she said, scraping her shoe against the carpet. Her sister nodded in agreement. "I'm not that stupid."

"You got locked in a store," Robin added, and Emma's jaw dropped in shock. "I still don't understand how you manage to do that." Nicole laughed loudly, spilling her juice on her t-shirt. There was a knock at the door. "Have fun. Make good choices."

"Don't do school, stay in drugs!" Nic yelled, making her mum slap her across the head. Emma ran out of the room, walking towards the front door. Just as she pulled it open, her sister screamed, "Stay protected - ow!"

Luke was at the door, his hands in his pockets. His blue eyes widened when he heard that before he laughed. She walked out with him to his car before they sat down, looked at each other, smiled, and went on their way.