CH 23: The Meeting

Lucy Parker POV

My breath catches as we enter the humungous meeting hall. The crowd parts for us as we walk through, thousands of eyes tearing me apart. I can feel them scrutinizing the very way I breathe and how my heart pumps blood through my veins, judging the length of my stride and the slight shake in my step, the trickle of sweat the slides down my spine just another imperfection to disapprove of.  

I'm shaken out of my thoughts when Xavier gives my hand a tight squeeze of affirmation. My eyes move to his and I'm met with affection and reassurance as we step onto the stage at the very front of the ginormous room. 

As we turn to face the mob again thousands of eyes burn deep gashes into me. Xavier clears his throat to gain their attention and I let out a breath as their hot gazes shift to him.

" I'm sorry for the impromptu meeting but as you are about to learn we don't have a lot of time to waste..." He pauses as he notices peoples focus moving back to me almost accusingly.

"However, I can see that will have to be the second half of this meeting as you seem much more interested in who I have standing beside me." He continues turning to face me with a soft smile. 

I smile back but it is much shakier, especially as people start to now stare shamelessly at me. I take a deep breath and turn back to the crowd with a much more confident smile as I try to get my shit together. 

"This is my mate, Lucy, your new Luna. I expect you to treat her with the same respect you do me. " Xavier declares, voice even and strong.

Harsh whispers break out, some positive, most note, all equally as curious. People debating my general potential and worth is uncomfortable, to say the least, and I start to squirm in place. Xavier notices my discomfort when I start scratching the backs of my hands and his face morphs into a snarl.

"EVERYONE, SILENCE!" He roars at the crowd. 

" But, Alpha," a middle-aged man steps forward, eyeing me with disgust," She's only human." He drawls in superiority. And that does it. 

" Now that is enough! First of all, I am not human but even if I was, that would not make me anymore unfit to rule this pack alongside my mate. I don't know what kind of supernatural supremacy bullshit you are on but I was raised by humans, and they are kind and caring, strong-willed and determined; I will not stand here and listen to you disrespect them based on your own egotistical ideologies, understood!" I snarl out, my eyes glowing their golden yellow, showing how pissed off Faith is as well. 

" Yes, Luna." 

My eyes nearly pop out of my head at the crowd's acceptance of me and my title. Wow, maybe I should yell more often. 

A calloused hand slips into mine and I look over to see Xavier's proud smile. I smile back my confidence returning as Faith begins to cheer in my mind. 

'Fuck yeah we showed 'em!' She hollers, tail thrashing in glee. I hold back my chuckle in the now silent room.

"B-but, Luna?" A small boy steps forward, maybe 8 or 9 years old with fiery hair and abundance of freckles. With a kind and hopefully gentle smile on my face, I nod at him to continue.

"If you aren't a werewolf and you aren't human, what are you?" I freeze as the realisation hits; I can't hide anymore. 

My eyes flick nervously to Xavier who nods with an encouraging smile. I look back to the waiting crowd, taking a deep breath as I square my shoulders with conviction. Fuck it.

" Well, I am an animal shapeshifter." 

Gasps and whisper fill the large room once more, the curiosity and confusion starting all over again. This time I decide to cut in and stop the pointless gossip before it spirals again. 

" If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them." I announce with a bright smile, hoping to make a decent impression on the now extremely sceptical wolves. A young pre-teen girl raises her hand cautiously and I nod at her.

" What animals can you shift into?" She asks softly, curiosity gleaming in her chestnut eyes. 

" Well, I can shift into any currently existing animal really, as long as I have seen it or a photo or something so I can picture it in my mind. I did, however, shift into a fox the first time I shifted so I have an inner fox named faith as like a second conscience which I think is very similar to you guys and your wolves." I explain. 

" How long have you been able to shift?" An older woman pipes up from deep within the crowd. 

" As far as I know I've been a shifter my whole life but I first shifted when I was 11, not long after my birthday." I reply, matching her kind smile with one of my own. 

"Well, if those are all of the questions for now?" Xavior question searching my eyes and I nod with a soft smile, stepping back into his side,"  then it is time to move on to  much more important matter, and the reason I called this meeting." He finishes, tone turning much more serious. My mood deflates as I remember why we are actually here. 

" There is a serious threat to this pack and my mate, a rogue pack is going attack, very soon." 

Let's see how they like their new Luna now. Yikes.

-

"Well, that could have gone worse." Xavier comments as we finally escape the giant meeting hall. Those people really know how to talk your ear off. 

After my little... introduction to the pack, Xavior fully explained the situation to our pack. There were mixed reactions but most seemed determined to fight for their pack and their new Luna for which I will be eternally grateful. Although there were a few who seemed less than ecstatic to say the least, thankfully they seemed to be the minority. 

" Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call that back there 'smooth sailing' but hey! No one died!" I joke shoving him lightly with my shoulder. He chuckles in response, slinging his arm over my shoulders and pulling me in close to his side. 

"I'm glad you were by my side today." Xavier comments casually, causing butterflies to erupt in my stomach and a slight flush to dust my cheeks. 

"Me too." I reply softly, snuggling into his side further as we approach the packhouse. I can't help the smile the captures my lips as he runs his hand up and down my upper arm, sort of softly stroking me absentmindedly. 

Ok, maybe I've let him in more than I thought. Oh shit, I'm falling, arent I? 

A/N Aloha Mischief makers! Back at it again with another chapter, sorry it's a little short and kind if filler-ish idk. Hope you enjoyed and don't worry things will start to move on much faster soon. Also, thank you all so much for 115K Reads I never thought I would make it this far and I honestly appreciate you all so much. Feel free to comment, vote and share this with anyone who you think might enjoy it, Sayonara.

By Mysterious_Mischief