CH 31: Walk Off Into The Sunset

Lucy Parker Pov

We won, at least I think we did, it doesn't quite feel like it. 

What the fuck are we supposed to do now?

"Lucy!" I spin towards my mate's call as it echoes across the oddly quiet clearing. 

I'm crushed against his bare chest before my eyes can even focus on his fast-moving form. He winds his arms tightly around my waist, holding me securely in his grasp as I move my arms to do the same. 

"You guys did it, it's over." He mutters softly into my hair after he breathes me in deeply.

I hear everyone else move closer, our group reuniting and celebrating. Everbody sharing soft moments of relief and love as the whole situation finally winds down. We won.

"We did? Ok, ok-" My borderline hysterical affirmation is cut short by a sudden flurry of movement and sound through the steadily emptying clearing.   

I snap my head sharply in the direction of the noise along with everyone else left in our small huddle of joy and relief. I can't help jumping back a little in surprise as Tyler comes charging towards us. She's dressed in a pair of oversized basketball shorts and a precariously ripped t-shirt. We watch in stunned silence as she whips her head around frantically, seemingly searching our group for something before finally, her eyes land on Mara. Huh?

"Mate!" Tyler growls and Mara stumbles back in shock, eyes wide and frantic as she looks about ready to bolt. 

The blonde girl surges forward before Mara has the chance to run, grabbing the stunned girl by her shoulders and pulling her in close. From what little I've seen about Mara, I have to conclude it takes a lot of her to appear small, she exudes so much power and confidence, not to mention being physically tall, but like this, with Tyler's muscular arms wrapped around her, she looks like a lost child. 

"What?" Mara's voice comes out small and soft. 

"You're mine." Tyler growls lowly in the poor girl's ear, staking her claim to everyone present.

"Oh, Ok."

I can't help but guffaw at my sister. Hmm, my sister, I think I quite like that.

"Well, I guess that settles that, you're stuck with us now." Jenna jokes, sliding over to give Mara a friendly shove.

"Yeah, hope you weren't planning on making a run for it, It's a little late for that." I comment fondly as Tyler frowns and moves her arms to Mara's waist, not letting go completely after hearing our jabs. 

I sink back further into my own mate's arms at the thought. Wow, and to imagine I tried to run away from the guy, multiple times, yes I was fucking determined, yet here we are. Here we are.

"Sooo, what are we supposed to do now?" I drawl slowly, soaking up the warmth and love my mate is flooding our link with. 

"What's left to do except walk off into the sunset like the victorious heroes we are." Jay declares, a goofy grin already set on his lips. 

So we do. 

The whole lot of us, each with our mate's on our arms, turn away from the bloodshed, the memories, from him, and towards the soft glow of the late evening sun.  The warmth dwindles as the star drops behind the trees, leaving us with nothing but a beautiful sky on fire and our own hearts to warm ourselves. 

The romantic, unbelievable, absolutely inconceivable situation draws a sigh from my cracked lips, calling the attention of my incredible, stunning, romantic mate. He draws me in closer, being down and capturing my lips in a searing kiss that lights my whole body on fire.

Sparks fly and we burn brighter than the fire above our heads, the heat of it warming me to the core. 

The werewolf and the shapeshifter, we really made it. 

Who'd've thought?

-

A/N Holy shit fam, this is really it. Like it doesn't really feel like it because I still have a few epilogues up my sleeve but this really is the final proper chapter of this whole ass journey. It's been absolutely incredible, I started this back in January of 2016, 4 years later and I finally got around to finishing it (14 May 2020, the day NZ made going outside and hugging your friends legal again, to anyone from the future who doesn't understand, count yourself lucky) and I'm really glad I did. 

Thanks for sticking this whole book out to the last chapter, I am so grateful for every single read this thing gets and I can't put into words how much it means to me when you guys comment literally anything and the joy I get whenever I get notifications about votes or even when I check the views after a while and see that people are really reading this. I can't thank you guys enough for wasting your time on my stuff, hope you were at least mildly entertained because I had so much fun writing this crap. Sayonara!

By Mysterious_Mischief