CH 25: Play House

3 Days later

Lucy Pov

"Alpha, Luna!"

I hear a hollow click as my head snaps up from the plans in front of me. We've been mulling over these strategies for days now and my poor joints are taking the worst of it, combine that with the harsh battle training we've all been doing and my body absolutely hates me.  

My eyes quickly find the panting scout, a younger man with dark curly hair and mocha skin dripping with sweat, caramel eyes wide with alarm. Xavier and Sara immediately move away from the desk we had crowded around to question the boy. 

"What did you find, Daniel?" Xavier questions seriously. 

" T-the Rouge pack... sir... they're only... a few h-hours... north in the... Draycona Woods." Daniel pants out with heavy breaths and pauses. 

Jake, Jenna and Mina quickly rush forward as well as everyone starts to mutter amongst themselves. I lock eyes with jay who also hung back from the growing crowd around the poor scout. We share a knowing look, this is either very good or very bad. 

" We need to go and scope out the camp as soon as possible." Jake declares.

"Yes, we should form a team and leave in the next few hours, just before sundown." Sara agrees with a firm nod of her head.  

"Definitely, Jake, Sara, Elliot your with me on this, we'll need some other warriors as well." Xavier starts barking orders, calling names and the others just nod diligently. 

" Of course, Alpha. I'll spread the word. "

" Jay, I need you to stay behind to manage the rest of the pack and keep an eye on the girls." Xavier directs the comment to a now serious-looking jay who nods severely. 

Wait

"E-fucking-xscuse me? Can you repeat what you just said?" I seeth sweetly, teeth clenched in a deathly grin.

"You better have not just said what I think you just said." Jenna sasses with an angrily arched brow. 

"You are all much safer back here at the pack where jay and the other warriors can keep an eye on you." Xavier declares sharply, lips stretched in a thin line of determination. Oh, fuck that.

"Keep an eye on us." Mia repeats slowly, murder growing in her usually cheerful eyes.

"It's nothing against you personally, Love. It's just that you guys are not physically as strong as us or as strong fighters as the rest of us, we just want to keep you safe." Jake tries to soothe his mate, moving towards Jenna who dodges his outstretched arms with a deathly stare settling over her soft features. 

"You're actually fucking kidding, right? We can take any of those bitchass rogues!" I growl, a pissy Faith flashing in my eyes. 

"You are my mate, I will always protect my mate, and you are safer here so you will stay here, end of discussion." Xavier states with a thick air of finality, a deep growl rumbling just below his words, waiting

"No, this is not end of discussion. I am your mate which means this is also my pack, and I have every right to defend it in whatever way possible. I can't do that when you keep treating me like some sort of damsel in distress rapunzel; I want out of the goddamn tower!" I growl fiercely. 

"GODDAMNIT LUCY, YOU WILL NOT COME WITH US, I FORBID IT YOU WILL STAY HERE WHERE YOU ARE SAFE FROM THOSE FUCKING ROGUES, ACCEPT IT OR I WILL MAKE YOU!" He roars, harsh alpha command dripping from every syllable, choking me with its pure strength and power. 

The whole room freezes, a rigid silence encompassing all the inhabitants like a storm cloud rolling into the bay. I look away from my mate bitterly and cross my arms over my aching chest defensively. 

'Can we just go back to our little bubble?' Faith practically whimpers, showing me pictures of us and Xavier wrapped in each other's arms, basking in the afterglow of our mating, a barrier of pure jot protecting us from... this.

'He well and truly burst it, Fae." I mutter sourly.

'This won't work unless he loosens his grip on his anxieties, and us.' Faith admits sinking back into the depths of my mind in defeat. 

'I know... I know'

"It's for the best, Luna. You are better here holding down the fort." My eyes flash to Sara at her cool tone, betrayal already building in the pit of my stomach. 

The sickening feeling halts in its tracks as I catch her eyes.  A spark of defiance, a glimmer that begs me, commands me to defy hi burns in a single glance. The little look in her gaze, the ghost of a smirk barely hidden behind her deceiving words, the little emphasis on my title, change my entire demeanour. 

"Ok, fine." I concede, faking a saddened defeat. 

"Lu-"

"Leave it, I'm fine." I cut Xavier off sharply as I brush past his dejected form and out of the office.

I glance behind me and send Jenna and Mia a quick look over my shoulder, prompting them to follow me. I climb the stairs and quickly slide into a guest room, turning to face the girls who baed off o their smirks, caught Sara's challenge as well.  

"So, what's the plan, Luc?" Mia grins raising her chin defiantly. 

"We are going on that fucking mission, this our pack too." I declare resolutely a spark of defiance raging into a fire of pure determination, blazing in my very bones. 

"Of course, but how are we gonna do it?" Jenna asks, flopping down on the single bed with an amused huff. 

"Hmm, how many guards do you think you could take out at once?"

"Enough."

-

"We're heading out, stay safe." Xavier calls calmly through the door. 

"Mmm." I hum back noncommittally as I smirk to myself. 

" Stay safe, Jen, love you." Jake tries but is only met with a stubborn grunt from his miffed mate.

"I'll be downstairs if you guys need me, ask for anything... I love you, Mia." Jay sounds pained and I can practically feel him wincing as only silence follows. 

Their footsteps fade down the hall like soldiers marching off to war, a fitting similie to say the least. As the tension-filled silence settles, the pieces of our plan slide into place. My eyes lock with the girls as we share a fiery determination fueled look. They set the match but now it's game on and we'll play.

But these dollies don't play house well. 

-

A/N SUP MISCHIEF MAKERS. How's life been? Anyway, this book is finally starting to wind up now that I got over my writers' block and figured out how the fuck I'm gonna do that. Sorry it took me so long to get my shit together but this book is my baby and if it has to end it better end RIGHT. Don't forget to like comment and share if you feel so inclined.

By Mysterious_Mischief