Chapter eight

"So you and Betty, huh?" Archie smiled stuffing a greasy French fry into his mouth.

"Uhhh yeah , that's not to weird is it?" Jughead asked. Either way it wasn't like his approval would somehow deduct his feelings for Betty.

"Not at all I'm happy for you two, my two best friends - it's perfect actually. And as for me and Betty we will always be best friends and next door neighbours. Nothing more than that." Archie explained happily with a smile on his face but a serious look in his eyes, they say he means what he says -he's happy for them  Jughead releases a sigh of relief, although his disapproval would not have changed his feelings the slightest bit. He couldn't lie and say he wasn't relieved that Archie was fine with the relationship. If anything it made him more confident in the relationship knowing his best friend will stay by his side throughout.

"Thanks, it means a lot." Jughead chuckled looking down, plopping multiple fries into his mouth at once.

"So.." Archie swallowed a bite of his burger. "How long have you two been sneaking around in the dark?" 

"Technically , I kissed her for the first time a couple days ago, but I have liked her in that way for about a month. I escaped the Andrews fortress through your window- for such a big guy your surprisingly an extremely sound sleeper. I snuck into her house via her bay window, climbing on top of the archway at the front of the house. Got a nasty gash in the process but it was worth it. That was the night we found Polly. She had so much going on, yet she still made time for me. Standing at her window until I snuck back in."

"That's great Jug, finally someone you like. Now you don't have to stay in that extestential period full of depressing memoirs and moods."

"Haha very funny. Not even Betty can prevent my loner complex and tragic backstories" He chuckled.

Meanwhile, Betty pressed down upon the brown paper slip receiving a "tick" in recognition of the motion. After two long hours, she had finally clocked out. Her worries about the job had came to light, it bored every bone into her body. After two hour she had only cleared one filling cabinet, with all the regulations and approvals she had to take in order to clear it. It was tiresome and lonely. She kept thinking of him. And what he expected of her tonight, and what she couldn't wait to do, sneaking around in the dark gave her Goosebumps, but it was being with him that made her stomach flip. Walking out of the dusty, hidden room at the back of the schools reception. She swiftly twisted her wrist, with little to no recognition, to say goodbye to the receptionist on hand - Mrs Weller. She hung around the close by lockers awaiting Veronicas arrival. Whilst she was cleaning the locker room from hell , Veronica was working with the Pussy cats to show her true commitment tot the group. So she promised Betty to walk home together. But per usual , she had lost track of time . Leaving Betty awkwardly stand by her locker well after all extra curricular activities had finished. Veronica sent a text explaining that she will be five minute's, Josie was making all pussy cats stay behind until every note was perfect. Bored out of her mind she sent Jughead a text and he replied automatically.They casual conversation, except this time at the end of each text he sent remained 3 single characters. Three lower case X's that made her heart stop. The smallest form of affection made her lose all dignity. She hated to admit it to herself, but she was turning into one of them girls, the ones who ravishes in their boyfriends attention and admiration. But at least he was doing the same , at least that's what she hoped.

Out of the corner of her eye she spied her long time best friend, Kevin Keller. His heavy , protruding footsteps were to be heard before you could see him. Betty was about to confess everything that was going on in her love life to him. That was what was special about their friendship, the ability that Betty can discuss whatever she wanted to, fan girl or gossip without it coming back to bite her in the ass. However this action was stalled when his phone released a loud chime. They were alone in the long ,empty corridor so the sound echoed. He answered , his face turning solid. For some reason Betty felt complied to hide behind the tall pillar at the edge of the lockers- it must be Jughead rubbing off on her.

"Yes, I know but you said you cleaned it up... we cant go down for this I have a life planned out I want to go to college.... I know my Dads the sheriff but that will not get us off the hook...  I still have the stain in the trunk of my car , one warrant and they have got me . Oh and don't you worry , if I go down your going down with me, you were the one who did it.... sort it out know , before I sort you out, like I did Jason!" Kevin said in intervals being interrupted by the member on the other side of the phone call. Raising his voice towards the end of the call. Betty had never seen this side to the soft , sweet , sensitive boy she knew and loved. He spun on his heels and made off towards the opposite end of the corridor. Betty went to stand , but her sneaker squeaked in the process.

Kevin stopped and slowly made his way back down the corridor. Every agonising minute made Betty shake in fear, tears streaming down her face. Her hand was clenched over her mouth to prevent any whimpers from escaping. She had connected the dots , from what she heard it sounds like Kevin played a role in Jason's murder, so what would he do when he found out someone knew. Considering he's capable of murder, she assumed the worst. She heard his, steps grow closer and closer. Her heart speeding up with every step.

Then he stopped, his phone began to chime once again.

"Dad I'm on my way home ..." His friendly "Kevin" voice returned and he once again turned around leaving his suspicions behind making off down the hall.

Once she was sure he was gone she stood and emerged from behind the pillar. She composed herself and the first thing to come to her mind after facing an ordeal of such nature was to ring him. Jughead.

And that was exactly what she did.