Chapter nine

As Archie and himself were preparing to leave the retro 50's diner , the iconic staple of Riverdale. Jughead's phone lit up and began to vibrate. An old photo of Betty and himself from when they were first permitted the rights to the Blue and gold and were provided the funding they needed filled the screen. They still looked the exact same despite the photo being taken six month ago,Betty with her hair in a tight pony tail , pink cardigan and perfect pink lipstick and Jughead with his wild ,curly, black hair and knitted beanie that Betty was yet to see him take off. Although physically they were the same people, on the inside he felt like they changed. And he knew Betty felt it too. The mystery behind Jason Blossoms murder has taken things away from them, revealed truths to parts of their lives and led them both down a path of sorrow and despair. But not all changes are negative , without this mystery Jughead wouldn't of realised what he was missing out on. The perfect girl next door who would go to the ends of the Earth and back for the truth of a story. He didn't realise six months ago how much of an affect taking on this extra curricular project with a person he didn't hate in order to add to his college application letter so he could graduate. Little did he realise this one month conquest  he was to use as inspiration to his drafted novel surrounding the secrets and hypocrisy hidden beneath Riverdale, would lead to a three month goose chase with a girl he was head over heels for. They were from different worlds, different universes. Yet in some way they were connected, deeper than what words could explain. He felt a pull towards her stronger than the attraction between the moon and the stars. He knew himself he wasn't an emotional person who can easily explain his feelings, but he knew he needed to talk to her about how strong his feelings are. Soon too.

The jingle following the vibrations continued.

"Betty ,huh? Wonder if she's calling to schedule your late night rendezvous!" Archie teased , playfully punching Jughead in the arm.

Jughead glared at him , but he couldn't help but giving into Archie's stupid grin. And he began to quietly chuckle too. His slid the green phone on the screen with his thumb and pressed the phone tightly yo his ear.

"Hey what.."

"You will never guess what just happened?" Betty interrupted whispering. She had no time for formal introductions.

"Hmmm I don't know Mrs Weller pulling a "Miss Grundy" and having an affair with an underage student. She would not only be an extremely inappropriate  but a cougar too. What isn't she like seventy." This gained a disapproving look from Archie who was currently glaring at Jughead as they left Pops , ringing the bell to signal their exit.

"Well not exactly and although that would be a great, juicy story in itself, Its not the one we have been working on for three months. Wouldn't you prefer to know about Kevin and his cover up?" Betty whispered so quietly Jughead could only just hear her.

"What are you talking about? Why are you whispering? " He asked becoming more concerned.

" I have just witnessed out sweet Dr Jekyll take a sharp turn into Hyde. I swear down I have never seen him so angry and stern. He was shouting at someone on the phone about a clean up gone wrong. And how he has a suspicious stain in the trunk of his car that if any one finds he will be going straight to jail. And that's not even the worst part, he threatened to "sort" the other member of the phone call out like he did to Jason!"

" Betty do you realise what this is? The sheriffs son did it, no wonder no one has been charged with the murder. How could he prosecute his own son? This is a lead! You did it, I'm so proud" Jughead gushed forcing Betty to turn red without him even being in the same room. She felt a wave of satisfaction knowing she impressed him , though she didn't need his approval it was nice factor to have. " Wait, why are you whispering?"

"Oh when he turned to leave , he heard me and turned into Sherlock Holmes. He almost got me to ,if his Dad didn't call him and force him to turn and run. Although I'm not fully convinced he's gone , just before I called you I heard his foot steps halt. And if he's who we think he is , I don't really want to get on the bad side of a law breaking criminal. For the past ten minute I've been looking for him to try and see what else he's hiding. But he's one step ahead, I checked reception he signed in but never out. I'm also looking for Ronnie but I think she has left, all the lights by the music department have been switched off. I don't want to look any further and be submerged into darkness. " Jughead was suddenly overwhelmed by a surge of worry.

"Don't go looking for him, that's really dangerous if he is the killer."

" I'm a big girl who can take care of herself..."

"Please Betty, I cant have anything happen to you on a case I turned you onto. Listen, I'm on my way now, go wait at reception and we can hunt for clues together, okay?"

"Okay , I guess you could call that a compromise." Betty quietly chuckled.

" Yeh, our first compromise. I'm close now , less than five minutes away, give me two minutes ill call you back I want to make sure your safe." Jughead said sternly. Serious, she liked that on him and he wore it proud. His worries and needs for her safety, only fuelled her passion for him.

"Okay, I will see you then.."

" Stay safe please, and don't do anything adventurous and crazy"

"I promise"

 She then ended the call and his heart dropped. She was in danger and it was his fault. If he wasn't such a socially awkward loner who could ask a girl out normally instead of becoming obsessed with a mystery in order for them to spend time together , then she wouldn't be alone, in the dark of a confined high school with a possible killer lurking around the halls.

Jughead turned to Archie" with the snap of his neck.

"Phone Ronnie make sure she's safe, I have to go help Betty..."

Before Archie had a chance to object, Jughead had ran off down the cobblestone street , he had never ran like this before. His feet barley even carrying him, his breath weighing him down. But he couldn't think about how bad his joints ached, how that meal at Pops was slushing around in his stomach, not even how badly his chest was burning , aching could stop him from running to her. The girl he loves ...