Chapter Thirty-Two

Betty composed herself. Wiping away the tears, she absorbed what just happened. She had just witnessed the murder of Jason Blossom. And found out who his killer really was.

His mother.

Her breath jittered at the thought. How could a mother possibly do that to their own child? Whom she birthed and nursed through out his life?

But that wasn't all that had Betty in a state of shock. She had just found out her own true identity.

That her real name was Betty Blossom. It still didn't sit right with her. That name, it sounded unnatural, like something from the pages of a well scripted novel. This also meant Cheryl, her own personal mean girl, was her second cousin. Did her parents know about their relations to the Blossoms? Why did they keep it from herself and Polly? Did they also have something traitorous to hide? That thought unsettled her stomach. What further churned it though was the fact that it also meant that both Jason and Polly were cousins. Would that count as incest? Probably not, as they only share just over three percent of the same genetic patterns. But still, she knew it would break Polly.

Her body still enclosed within Jughead's arms, turned slightly to face her other friends. He released his grip slightly to allow her move to be more comfortable, but didn't remove his arms. He knew she needed the support at that moment.

She saw that Veronica had calmed herself, her sobs coming to a halt. She had her arm linked with Archie's, whose face was hard and stern. From what Betty could remember, Archie and Jason became close acquaintances over their shared love of football. They were often caught joking with one another , hanging around the bleachers together during the breaks in their practices. She knew it was hard for him to lose a friend.

She swallowed, "Are you ready to continue?" She asked, knowing well that her voice wasn't the strongest its ever been.

Veronica took a deep breath, straightened her spine- improving  her posure. She used bith of her index fingers on either sides of her cheeks, wiping away her tears.

"Yeah, I'm ready." She smiled, a sad smile.

"Archie?" Betty followed.

He snapped back to reality after being engrossed deep into his own thoughts. He nodded, not wanting to reveal how fragile and vulnerable he was feeling through his voice.

She turned to her boyfriend.

"Jug?" She asked.

"Whenever your ready." He answered moving his arms from her shoulder , instead placing his hand on hers.

She turned back to the computer, her new worst enemy.

She clicked play.

The video resumed. Penelope hanging from her own sons cadaver. Her painful cries filling the room. The creaky door sounded once more.

In walked Clifford Blossom.

The plot thickens. Both parents were involved.

"Oh Penelope what have you done?" Clifford voice was dry and Sarcastic. He moseyed up to his sons body, showing no signs of grief. He addressed the body with a smirk, lifting Jason's hand to pry off Polly's great grandmothers ring. Correction his great grandmothers ring- letting his hand fall to the ground like litter.

He pulled his wife off the ground. Holding her in both hands at arms length.

"Woman, compose your self." He shook her. "This was bound to happen eventually.

Penelope's cries remained consistent as she batted away his arms. She turned her body from Jason, not baring to look at the mess she created.  Clifford walked up to his sons body. Examining it. From behind his back he pulled out his own gun. And with a pull of the trigger, had similarly shot the body of his son, even after his death was prominent. He committed over kill.

Betty had found herself confused. If Jason was shot twice, how come nobody was assessing it? Talking about it? Why was it not public knowledge?

"What.. What did you do?" Penelope shouted, her fists pounding atop of Clifford's chest.

"Exactly what you did. Except I meant it." He said calmly.

"He is still your son .."

"He was never my son. We both know that!"  Clifford exclaimed raising his voice.

Penelope looked visibly uncomfortable .

"I  thought we were going to put this behind us, for the sake of the children and our marriage."

"Well I cant Penelope , you had an affair with Hiram Lodge."

Veronica gasped, everything freezing in motion. She knew her father was not a good man, but he had always been a good family man. This new information cracking the still semi perfect image she had of her family.

Betty glanced over her shoulder to find Veronica looking down. She knew she wasn't readyt to talk , she squeezed her and not wanting to pry at her to release her emotions. Archie put his arm around her and despite this Veronica showed no recognition of the act. She was in a world of her own.

"You know I regret that and I dealt with the consequences ." Penelope uttered guilt parading her face.

"No we dealt with the consequences. The unnatural phenomena of having twins with two different fathers, less than a quarter of a percent. Yet it happened to us as the form of karma."

"I know that and I will always be regretful of that decision. But you cannot hold me accountable forever. And you certainly can not hold our children accountable. You can not treat them differently.We made the decision not to found out which child wasn't yours for a reason, so we could be a family."

"But I can hold you accountable. Your behaviour will affect us for the rest of our lives. We had been paying Lodge industries' thousands of dollars a month just so he wouldn't reveal that one f our children was his. To stop shame ruining our family name, just as Jason was about to do by running away with Hals daughter. He is not my son."

"You don't know that!" Penelope screamed.

"Yes I do. I spent years convinced that Cheryl was not my child. She was the complete opposite of the both of us. Hyperactive, bratty and  uncontrollable. Whilst Jason was the perfect son. I spent all my time nourishing and favouring Jason, shutting Cheryl out. You saw this happening and did nothing about it. You did the same." Penelope looked ashamed.

Clifford continued." About two months ago I contacted an old friend who works at the hospital. She told me the truth . That Cheryl was my daughter and Jason had Lodge blood. I was shocked, but what shocked me more was that my wife was on record receiving this information over thirteen years ago."

"I can explain.." She stated calmly.

"Explain what? How you let me shut my real daughter out? How you did so yourself?"

"Jason was a good heir to the Blossom business. He has so much more promise than Cheryl ever did!" Penelope screamed.

In response, Clifford raised his right hand slapping Penelope hard across the cheek. The slam of his hand against her cheek silenced the room ringing continuously. A vast red mark blossomed in her face. She raised her own hand to her cheek, cradling it.

After moments of silence. She snapped. She tried to jump on him, using her nails to claw at him. But he had the advantage of upper body strength , holding her arms to keep her back.

"Behave yourself Penelope. I must clean the mess you have made for this family, one again."  She stood straight calming herself.

"Bring them in." Clifford called.

In walked an old, grey haired Serpent.

That explained the connection to the serpents.

Followed by two middle aged , blind folded men.

Two men both Jughead and  Betty recognised too fondly.

It was Hal Cooper and F.P Jones.

Both of their Dads were involved in their own investigation, the part they played even more shocking.