Chapter Eleven

Betty caught the back of a red converse shoe swerve the corner next to the schools library. The four amateur detectives rounded the corner hot on their tails. Archie strong upfront with Betty and Jughead, as Veronica lagging behind . Yet going as fast as her Vuitton heels would allow her. The clinks of her heels were the most prominent sound in the hall, despite the heavy breathing and squeaking of sneaker. Only to reveal a pair of double , open doors leading out into the dark, black abyss. Whoever was raiding the school hall after hours was gone. Leaving , Betty and Jughead turned their glances to one another as Ronnie and Archie caught up. Another lead, slipped through their fingers.

As the four slowly came to the realisation that the chase was over and caught their breath.

"What now?" Asked Archie , heart rate regulating.

"What can we do? I guess me and Betty can follow up on Kevin tomorrow. " Jughead said. Sending the butterflies jolts of electricity in Bettys stomach. He had that effect on her, when he mentioned them alone. Together.

"For now we should all keep our distance from Kevin though , right? I mean if he did kill Jason what's to stop him hurting us?" Veronica stated in a audacious tone.

"No, we can't ." Betty interrupted, hectically.

"What?" All three said in unison as response to Bettys out cry.

"You can't be serious Betty! I know you and Kevin go way back, but this is a possible murder suspect we are talking about. He's dangerous..." Jughead exclaimed.

" I know ! I know, this has nothing to do with me and him and our friendship. Think about it, if we all start distancing ourselves from him. He is going to realise something is up, that we are onto him. Then it becomes dangerous. We just need to act normal around him , as of nothing has changed." Betty explained earning looks of disapproval.

"How can we act normal around someone who we just learned could be responsible for the greatest murder in the history of Riverdale?" Archie asked in a shocked tone.

That night Archie's Dad picker Archie and Veronica up from the dark, dingy school park. As well as Hermione, the three were headed to a late night "strictly business" meal. This could also be seen as a meal that includes their parents affair hidden, disguised as a negotiation meeting. Neither of them knew how they could handle a whole meal in awkward circumstance without even mentioning the whole fiasco that had Just taken place in the long, excruciating halls of the towns high school.

Meanwhile, Jughead was walking Betty home along the cracked, weed ridden paths from Riverdale high tot he Cooper residence. The branches of a great oak tree tickled the tops of their heads, as they passed the car park of Pops. Without any words passing either of their lips, they gripped one another's hands, closing the gap between them. Side by side, they treaded along the dark paths of the North side of town. Unlike the south side, the North side had unreliable street lanterns , whose dim lights illuminated the vast areas surrounding them. They were sprinkled sparsely up and down the street.

As they closed in on Bettys house. She finally spoke.

"So tomorrow , where do we start?" Betty asked finally releasing her resistance to stop herself staring at his face. His eyes. His lips.

He stopped they had reached her house, but neither were ready for their stroll to be over.

"Lets not think about that tonight..." H e said taking both of her hands in his. They were now facing one another . Eyeing one another, craving each others lips.

"What do you propose we think about then ?" Betty asked, fully knowing the answer. She stepped closer.

" I know exactly what I'm thinking about" He smirked in response. Slowly, he leaned in. It was perfection. Short, but sweet. They broke apart, his sweet taste still resignating within her mouth. They both knew they couldn't spend too long together on the street, despite how much they both wanted to stay together through out the night.

"Good night , Jughead..." She kissed him softly on the cheek, sending tingles down his spine.

Betty started down the steps to her house as did he to Archie. Despite the game changing events that played out earlier that night, through out the night, during Bettys phone call to Polly( since she never had the chance to visit her), through out Jughead's game play and in their dreams. All either of them thought about was one another.

The next day arrived as quickly as last night ended. Archie and Jughead met Betty at the end of her cobblestone drive way, walking the long route to school. Trying to create casual conversation between them, avoiding the question on every bodies mind: how ere they going to react seeing Kevin for the first time after last night? This was affecting Betty the hardest, her friend of twelve years, the one she turned to when no one in her crazy family would listen, the one who gave her the confidence to reach for thing she never dreamed of, for example he convinced her to go ahead with the Blue and gold.

As they wandered onto the school grounds, Veronica awaiting them at its French doors.

"So , how are we going to do this?" Veronica asked, being the first to address the subjects.

They all turned to one another , waiting for someone to answer.

"Fake smiles, act normal," Betty said linking arms with Veronica, taking her first steps into the school. With Archie and Jughead lagging behind.

They reared the corner heading straight for the study room, where Kevin always was - usually drinking his third cup of coffee of the day.

But something was wrong. Instantly, walking through the doors of the study room there was noticeable difference. Kevin was no where to be seen.

" Hey, have you seen Kevin. We have a project that I need to question him on," Archie took it upon himself to ask Moose, Kevin former fling and long time friend.

"Haven't you heard, Kevin's gone on a week long fishing trip with the scouts. Hes the supervisor." Moose replied , joining the rest of the football team.

A weight lifted off of Bettys shoulders and an idea came to mind. Quickly, she turned to Jughead.

"This is our chance!" She exclaimed.

"Chance for what?" He questioned.

"A chance to search his house, his bedroom , his car! Take pictures of the stain, its evidence. Its will be our biggest movement in the case!"

" Okay , definitely, when are we doing this?"

"Right now, the sheriffs at work. The house will be empty," Before Jughead could utter a response, she had grabbed his hand leading him out into the hallway. Leaving Veronica and Archie in shock. Ready to break the law of property invasion , minor theft and privacy invasion. Jughead loved this side to Betty, the wild "act on instinct" side to her. Yet, what excited him even more was that they would be alone. Together. For the whole day. What could be more breath taking.