Chapter Thirty-Nine

Jughead had spent no more than an hour before he concluded that his new foster family wasn't for him.

The bright yellow walls contrasted wildly with his black clothes. It was large making him feel small. The smell of home goods pulling him at first, only to be detracted , an uncomfortable feeling bestowed upon him once a few small children came into vision.

The home was located on the South side and contained within itself an original set of rules.

1, No disrespect to his elders or his new siblings.

2, Behaviour at both school and home must be exceptional.

3, Don't break the curfews set.

Not to mention the ongoing list Claire, his new foster mother, kept adding to as the day went on.

At least he got his own bedroom, a small secluded box room directly below the attic, the furthest room down the hall. The size was compact, barley enough to move around in once a single bed was added. But it was enough for him, it was a improvement from being homeless.

The home held refuge for four other children: Two brothers aged four and six, a twelve year old girl and a fourteen year old boy who's pep radiated from his being. Himself and Jughead had nothing in common, that was already too clear.

The house was located in the nicer area of the South side. It even had a clean green garden out front and back. Homemade meals were cooked four times a day without fail meaning Jughead never had to go hungry. Dan and Claire provided him whatever he needed whenever he wanted it. Overall they were just so... lovely? Perfect. Jughead didn't belong.

In hindsight , it was all Jughead ever wanted.

A full , loving family who wanted him, cared for him ant put the effort in he needed to realise that.

But it wasn't enough anymore.

They weren't her.

Not since he tasted the sweet sip of what life with Betty Cooper was like. Like a drug, he was hooked. It wasn't their fault, no one could compete with her. He was constantly self sabotaging himself, in ditch efforts to ruin this perfect life that was created for him.

He sighed unhooking the latch of his window. There was one advantage to having the room that was furthest down the hall, you didn't have to clamber through the entire house to break curfew.You could just sneak out through the window, climb into the treehouse right outside his window and down the path.

The night was cold. Waves of harsh wind sending shivers into his blood stream. He made the lengthy journey to the North side of town.

Betty stood waiting for him, by the abandoned railway tracks that separated the two dominant sides of Riverdale.

She still smelt him on her jacket, from the first day he snuck out. Another night they spent together.

Nights were ever so lonely for Betty in her once full house, now empty and cold. She looked forward to the nights when she saw him. Dan and Claire eventually got their own way, convincing Jughead's social worker it would be much more convenient for all children under the same roof to attend the same school, South side high. Although he was still granted Fridays to continue on his duty and commitments to the Blue and Gold, as it would eventually help his college application. But to him it was just and excuse to spend more time with her.

She longed for the time the sun set upon this old town, when she could finally be happy.

Tonight they was a further step into the investigation. A dangerous one at that.