Chapter Twenty-One

Flashing lights and officers swarmed the scene. There were cops dusting the car and bagging up the guns and knife. Betty felt like she was having an out of body experience. Everyone around her had a job and was constantly moving , while she stood still in the centre of it all watching the scene unfold. The air around them smelt foul, poisonous even . The night was still cold - evident by the layed of frost that had formed upon the roof of the car.

She knew Jughead was by her side, but she wouldn't of been able to tell the difference if he wasn't. Her mind was messy and complicated. Could her parents truly be responsible for Jason's murder? It seems too unbelievable and stereotypical, but all the evidence is beginning to pile up. She didn't want it to be true, as Jughead said himself - they were still her parents, and she worried that if word got out to Polly, that her own parents killed the father of her children, it might just send her over the edge. She knew Polly held a delicate mental state, which is why her visit to the sisters was made even more believable.

She hadn't had chance to tell Jughead what she had found in the trunk , the police were on the scene before he had even gotten off the phone. For the past hour they had been under strict and demining questioning. The way they were being treated, it would have been thought that they were the murder suspects. Her mind may of been full, but she could still hear Jugheads sarcastic , cocky remarks to Sheriff Keller's questions earning him some unprofessional responses.

Both Betty and Jughead felt uncomfortable in the Sheriffs presence, especially with what they suspect about him. Keller looked on edge, like this was something unplanned- which it was but you would expect him to be slightly more intrigued with the evidence rather than the two slooths who found it. Ever since he arrived he never took one glance at the car and what it held inside, instead he spent all his time with them. Almost like he was scared they would run away.

"Betty, are you okay?" Jughead asked snapping Betty out of her trance, placing a hand on her shoulder to give her a gentle shake.

"Umm yeah, I think I'm just tiered, " Betty replied rubbing her temples.

"Okay..." He pulled her in and wrapped his arm around her protectively. " I think that's all the questions we can handle for tonight. Can we go now?" Jughead asked, not really looking for an answer.

The sheriff put his hands on his hips and stepped back looking pissed.                                                  "Fine , let me drive you both home." He said a smirk growing on his face. "Where exactly would that be for you, Jughead?"  Jugheads faced washed over in anger. Betty felt her finger nails dig and pierce into her skin. She felt a wet substance in her hand, she must have drawn blood this time. Betty could tell Jughead was about to do something he regretted, so before he had the chance to find himself in jail that night Betty interjected.                                                                             "Actually officer, you can just take us back to my place. I'm sure Jughead wouldn't mind staying the night." Betty replied, forcing Keller's face to go from shocked to stern really quick.

"Yeah sheriff , Il save you the trip." A smirk forming across his face.

"Just get in the car Jones," Keller said raising his voice the slightest.

The car ride home was filled with awkward silence. They both felt like prisoners being separated from Keller by the metal bars. As they pulled up to the curb affront of Bettys house , the sheriff asked "Hey... Betty where are you parents? Do they know about your friend staying the night? " He asked not addressing Jughead by name.

"They haven't been home lately, what with all the drama going on in town they have a lot of business." Betty confessed feeling slight embarrassed at his later question.

Sensing that the Sheriff was only looking to make a fool out of Betty, Jughead added "How about you solve the murder and then I'll ask to stay myself." He asked opening the door to the police car and slamming it behind him.

"Thank you for the ride sheriff," Betty said preparing to leave.

"Betty wait.." The sheriff called back. Betty relaxed back into her seat. "Listen Betty your a good kid... don't get messed up with a boy like that. Hes trouble ... you don't know about his past, just promise to stay safe.." Keller sincerely said , Betty was shocked. Jughead didn't seem the type to have a deep dark back story.

Wanting to escape the situation in its entirety Betty replied " I promise." Opening the door she  clambered out of the car, heading straight for Jughead. She didn't dare mention to Jughead about what the Sheriff just told her, she didn't want to make him think she didn't trust him considering she would put her life in his hands.

"You okay?" Jughead asked reaching out for her hands.

Betty leaned in and kissed him. It felt right. Pulling away , she said " Never better,"

He smiled and lead her into the house, straight up the stair and straight into bed. It had been a long day, but together it felt like time stopped. For the rest of the night they stayed enclosed in one another's arms. Not even allowing the murder, their parents and everything else sneak into theirs minds. All they focused on was one another, like tonight was their last night, like it almost was.

Morning drew in as quick as it set the previous night. It was a Saturday, meaning they could spend the day together, like this . In each others arms, like it....

BANG...BANG

They both jolted awake , unravelling each other from their arms. The loud thumps continued. Jughead stepped in front of Betty hold his arm back to protect her. If the moment wasn't so tense, Betty knew her heart would have tingled. The band grew louder as the pair tiptoed towards the door, until a huge crash replaced it. Jughead swung the door open and stepped out into the hall , ready to pounce and protect her.

Three of four officers came parading up the stairs, one was even armed. A gun, with her fingers around the trigger.

"What the hell?" Jughead asked, the door had been smashed down and the officers were headed right towards them.

Without warning an officer grabbed his arms, harshly slamming them around his back. Something neither Betty nor Jughead could ever imagined happened next, they cuffed him. The cold metal tight, rubbing harshly against his skin.

In waltzed the Sheriff a slight smirk on his face. "Jughead Jones you are under arrest..."

Bettys heart was in her feet. Jughead turned his neck to look at her. The shocked look on her face broke his heart. Their eyes met in confusion.

"Under what charges?" Betty asked, it couldn't of been for snooping around his home or else Betty would be in handcuffs too.

"For the murder of Jason Blossom" He said before dragging Jughead out of her house.

Tears began to stream down Bettys cheeks.

"I love you..." He finally admitted , before being dragged out of the front door. He screamed it from the top of his lungs almost like he would never see her again. That was because he was scared he wouldn't.