Chapter Twenty

The sky was almost jet black. All that was illuminating the sky was the small, bright, twinkly dots that shone in the sky. The sun had just set, leaving the sky bright. It was beautiful , the perfect evening for Bettys dream date in the woods. Except this wasn't date, it was a mission in their murder investigation. A pure white sheet of snow had set upon the woodland floor, making Jugheads toes ache from cold. Betty shivered, a wisp of cold air blowing into her neck. The sweater she wore this morning did not prepare her for quests during the night.

Betty wrapped her arms around herself, using her sleeves to keep circulation and warmth pumping around her hands.

"Oh! Here.." Jughead appeared from behind her , situating his black jacket upon her shoulders, ignoring the cold creeping inside him and down his spine. He ust wanted to keep her safe.

Betty smiled so hard her face began to ache. "Thank you..." She said , her heart warming at the simple gesture. Small acts like giving her his jacket, was what made her fall deeper and deeper in love with him.

Trudging through the dark woods, the pair had never felt more alone. But at least they were alone together- each only really had the other to rely on these days... Betty could feel the damp snow in the sole of her shoe and her fingers were turning blue from the almost polar weather.

"This was a dumb idea..." Betty confessed with a slight annoyance at the tip of her tongue. Betty and winter weather didn't collide well.

"Well... it was your idea. I would have been happy to go home and go to bed." Jughead said in a "matter of a fact" tone.

"Yes, I know that... but it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it." Betty exclaimed, raising her eyebrows into an arc. Wanting to change the subject onto something that really mattered Betty asked, " How are you holding up... You know ..."

"-Do I still believe that my Dad didn't do it ? Yeh, I do. Do you not?" Jughead said sounding defensive and alarmed. Raising his voice the slightest bit.

"I didn't mean it like that, I just mean you didn't speak to him on the way out and you have been really quiet. We didn't have time for you to really talk about it and I just want to make sure your okay. Jugg... you just had to process a lot of emotions and trust me I know from first hand experience, bottling up all your emotions will not help you or anyone. One day you will explode and ... it hurts. You don't deserve that." Betty replied quickly, not wanting him to get the wrong idea.

Jughead softened. Regretting acting defensive, all Betty did was care. " I'm okay , I promise. I have had to deal with the  uncertainty that come with F.P Jones for many years. I'm sorry for snapping , its just although he hasn't been the most stable and reliable, he's still my Dad..."

"I know and unless something happens to contradict it,he didn't do it so there is nothing to worry about.." Betty said placing her hand on his shoulder, trying her best to ignore the cold racing through her veins.

Jughead simply smiled, biting his tongue. Not wanting to admit to her that he still had worries about his Dads story. But she had trusted him so he felt he needed to hold true to that. Warmed by her caring soul, he wrapped his arm around her, letting hers drop. They continued to hike through the twiggy woods, minding their step. They were verging on the edge of town, step by step they were approaching something that would flip their investigation, and lives.

"So... after we have dealt with whatever debacle faces us around this corner, shall we grab a take away Pops. We can eat it in my bedroom if my parents are home- but I doubt it." 

"I have never heard more perfect words escaped your lips Miss Cooper," He joked. "Besides I don't think I could handle Archie tonight, asking where I was the other night. How much do you want to bet he and Veronica are at Pops righ-"

"-there is it!" Betty interrupted pointing towards the huge billboard sitting at the entrance of their small town. It was worn down, just like the town. A few bushes and greenery covered their view of what was below the board. Betty pulled Jughead , forcing the pair to break out into a slow jog.

They subsided the bushes to reveal a broken down, grey car.

"What's this?" Jughead asked.

Betty stood astonished. She knew exactly what it was. " That's my parents old car.. it was in at the family storage unit for Polly when she got her license. I think this is her and Jasons get away car."

Jughead began to approach the car, Betty following behind . Betty peered through the front windows. "Road trip essentials: Junk food, soda and CDs. This has Polly written all over it..."

He began to make his way around tot he trunk. Pressing to release, the trunk slowly elevated.

"Uhh.. Betty this was definitely the car. But I don't think Polly ever had anything to do with this..." Jughead said, gobsmacked.

Betty made her way around to the trunk, as soon as her eyes revealed to her what it had been hiding her jaw fell.

Inside the trunk was piles and piles of drugs and other illegal substances. But that was to be expected, what wasn't was the gun, knife and bloody towel and splatters.

"Don't touch anything. "Betty warned as Jughead reached to grab the drugs in order to inspect them. "Its all evidence."

"Your right .. now what, what do we do?" Jughead asked, slightly freaked out.

"We have to call the police, Keller may be covering something up but he cant hide this.."

As soon as the words uttered from her moth in such a hyperventilated manor, Jughead pulled out his phone reacting to her order.

"Hello we have found something... its to do with the Jason Blossom murder case..."

Betty took one more look into the trunk, soaking in every thing she saw. At the base of the trunk lay a leaflet.  A leaflet for the Sisters , the asylum Bettys parents sent Polly too.

All of a sudden, Betty got a very bad feeling in her stomach. Had she just told her boyfriend to practically turn in her parents for murder?