Chapter Thirty-Four

Nausea settled in Betty. What were they going to do now?

"For a start..." Jughead piped up. "We should see what is in the third file."

"Good point." Betty thought to herself. There was still one mystery folded they had yet to venture into. Betty exited the video file, returning to her documents. The final file sat there , teasing her. From what she had already found out that day, Betty was not sure she could stomach whatever was hidden within it.

She clicked onto the file, despite the negativity circulating her brain.

It loaded. To reveal a document. A birth certificate, in fact.

At first glance Betty assumed it was Jason Blossoms. It would make sense considering the motive for the murder was heavily centred around family ties and blood relation.

But that was not what this was. It was a double spread of two birth certificates. One had black lines through out the gender , eye colour and name, while the other was clean with nothing hidden.

It was Joaquin's, Kevin Keller's rebel boyfriend whom only a few short days ago Betty and Jughead were convinced was involved in Jason Blossoms murder. Only this birth certificate revealed something startling to Betty. It revealed that he was actually twenty one years old, not seventeen like were led to believe. But that was not the shocking part...

His parents were none other than Alice Brown and Hal Cooper.

Her parents had a child together during their teenage years, before they got married.

All this time they judged Polly, Hell they even exiled her to a far off asylum where she couldn't be a burden to the family. When they had gone through the same thing themselves...

This meant..

"Joaquin's my brother .." Betty whispered.

The certificate stated he was born with blonde hair, meaning he dyed it when he returned to Riverdale with his family to avoid any one noticing the missing Cooper child's reappearance .

"That isn't all.." Archie stated sheepishly from behind. As he pointed to the second birth certificate.

"Huh.. twins.." Jughead added. The second certificate revealed that on the same day as Joaquin's birth, another baby was born. His twin.

"I guess twins really do run in the family." Veronica stifled.

" I have a brother.." Betty whispered still in complete utter shock. Her hands and arms stiff on the desk in front of her. A silent tear rolling down her cheek.

Jughead pulled her to his chest without thought. Hugging her, not to intimately as he was well aware both Archie and Veronica were in the same room. He rested his chin on the top of her head. He could feel her warmth, her jittery breaths , the stillness of her shocked body. Allough she could feel herself slowly becoming more and more unresponsive, she still had chance to take in his heart beat.

Dum.. Dum... Dum..

She focussed on it, every beat she took note of. It stopped her mind from spiralling.

"So does that mean they were put up for adoption?" Veronica asked, her head inventively searching for Betty looking for an answer.

"Probably, I mean they were both teenagers and I don't think Hal would be too open for having children this early in life. I mean look at the way he treated Polly." Jughead answer for her, not wanting to put her on the spot when she want ready to talk.

"But why didn't anyone know about this ... I mean its only a small town?" Archie added, finally getting involved in the conversation.

Silence fell around them.

"She told me she had an abortion..." Betty uttered from under Jughead's arms, forcing everyone to jump at her sudden piece in the conversation. 

"What? you knew about this..." Veronica asked, her voice startled.

"Yeah sort off... once I had a huge argument with her about Polly and she told me that the reason she didn't want Polly to keep the baby was because she knew what she was going through. My Dad tried to make her have an abortion just like he did with Polly. And my Mom told me she went through with it... but clearly that was a lie." Betty explained.

"Now what?" Jughead asked.

"We should go to the sheriff, right?" Veronica answered with a question.

"If we do, both of your parents will be in big trouble... they lied about so much. Even their own crimes. Are you sure you want to do that?" Archie asked.

Jughead looked down at Betty, his eyes in hers.

"What do you think?" Her answer mattered the most to him.

"I'm just ready for this all to be over... we need to finish this." She replied.

"Yeah.. we do." He stood heading for the door.

"Where are you going?" Veronica asked.

"To the sheriff, were ending this now."  He said taking the ring USB from Bettys computer.

All three that remained seated stood and followed him out of Bettys room, back down the hall, down the stairs and out of the door. They crossed the short path separating Bettys house from Archie's. The weed ridden path, their only obstacle. Archie pulled the silver car keys from his pocket, unlocking the car. Without disturbance all four jumped into the car. Veronica and Archie in the front, Betty and Jughead in the back. 

The ride was undisturbed, Betty resting her head on the cold glass, the scenery passing by her before she had a chance to take any of it in.

Jughead unbuckled his seat bely and scooted himself into the middle seat. He took his arm and let it fall over her shoulders, tightly embracing her.

He didn't know what to safe, nothing he could do would fix the void in her lie at the moment.

"Are you okay?" Was all he could ask.

She sighed, looked up and smiled. "I am now." She said before resting her head on his chest.

The ride ran smoothly, well as smooth as late morning traffic can be. They turned onto the long , isolated road surrounded by wood land that was the quickest direction to the police station.

The road was empty. Not a car nor soul in sight. The only sound coming from the chirping birds sat high in the trees above them.

Archie noticed something. Something in his hand mirror . Something he wished he didn't.

A black SUV with tinted windows was directly behind him, speeding at an unnatural velocity. Archie moved onto the outer lane to give the car chance to pass. Butt to both his surprise and terror the car followed. Speeding faster and faster.

Panic rose in Archie, beads of sweat trickling down his forehead.

"What the hell?" Jughead asked, buckling his seatbelt. The rest of the car began to t=realise what was happening.

Someone was trying to shut them up for good.

Someone was trying to run them off the road.

Someone was trying to kill them.

Archie stepped on the gas, but his fathers old truck took time to speed up and time was not in their favour.

The black SUV was gaining on them, the short distance between the car closing .

"Archie .. do something !" Betty called out.

"I.. huh..don't know." He was in shock.

In a state of panic Veronica leaned over and grabbed the wheel. the sudden spin ran the off the road.

Heading directly towards an old, vast oak tree...