Chapter Twenty-Two

Bettys heart had stopped, her vision blurred ... Her boyfriend was being dragged out the door without mercy. Her head was in pieces, this want possible, was it? What evidence could the police have on him? Yes the pair of them had both committed crime for the sake of the case, but none go as far as murder. She never questioned his innocence. The man she fell in love with wasn't even the slightest bit capable of the brutality of the murder that was Jason Blossoms death. 

The scene around her was hectic, officers swarming her house , her things...Jugheads thing. A warrant flashed before her eyes , held up by an officer who looked like it wouldn't matter whether he had one or not. It was for the home and/or area Jughead ones had set up residence. Like bees to honey, the police were leafing through the bed, her dresser, her wardrobe . Officers were in and out the house, with Jugheads items in transparent bags and boxes. She felt so violated. She mumbled to question if she was allowed to get dressed , she was, as long as a female officer stood either inside or outside the door. They walked her to the bathroom. She couldn't help but feel she was the prisoner.

As soon as she had dressed and showered, she took a long look in the mirror. Staring at the visible stress on her face, the arch of her eyebrows, the tension in her shoulders, the headache pounding away like drills. She rubbed her eyes, ignoring her lack of make up for once, and stared into her own eyes, wishing they were his..

How had everything gone so wrong, so quick? Last night thing felt as though things were staring to turn around for her. After life had gone so wrong, Jughead made everything better...and now he was gone too. And to top it all off, the sheriff will eventually phone her parents and reveal she had been hiding a "murderer" within their home. She could see it now, they would have her sent to the sister before she would have chance to say goodbye. To her friends, her family.... him. Would he even know she had gone? Or would they tell him I didn't want to see him ... like they did to Polly.

She needed to get to him... before they had the chance. She braced herself for the cold winter weather as she stepped out of her front door. The drive way was blocked with police cars, police vans, not to mention the tens of officers that patrolled the scene. At least her parent car wasn't home yet. Groups of curious gossipers stood by the curb. Gasping at the sight of "perfect girl next door" Betty Cooper stepping out of her door whilst police were working inside, invading her privacy, in order to see what her boyfriend had done.

The only positive thing this day had brought came into vision. Archie and Veronica stood by his house. Worried looks on their face. As soon as they made eye contact, Veronica rush over frantically. Engulfing her in the tightest hug , nestling her head in Bettys neck. Archie wrapped his arms around the pair of girls. All three were sharing a hug... but it didn't relive the pain.

The realisation of what the day had brought finally sunk in. Leaving Betty feeling empty and down hearted. Slow, silent droplets wetted her cheeks. She could feel the torrential down pour from Veronicas eyes on her back.

"Betty.. what even happened?" Veronica asked.

Betty took a deep breath. "They have arrested Jughead for Jason's murder."

"What?" They both asked in unison.

"We thought this had something to with Polly...or your parents." Archie admitted. "We need to get down to the station now." He added heading toward his Dads truck.

The ride down to the station was filled in dreaded silence. No one knew what to say or how to say it.

Archie was in front driving, whilst Betty and Veronica sat in back.

Eventually Veronica drifted toward Betty and squeezed her hand. 

"I know how it feels you know... to be paraded out of your own house for the whole world to see whilst someone you love is being taken away from you... Its hard but I promise you it will get better."

And although it changed nothing, it didn't fix what was already broken, it soothed her. Seeing how Veronica had opened up to her. She wasn't the only one who this has happened too. As soon they get a lawyer for him, Jughead will be out in no time. "Thanks Ronnie.." She mumbled resting her head on her shoulder.

They came to an abrupt halt as the truck pulled up out side. News vans congregated the entrance. Without thinking the trio barged into the station. Running to the reception.

"Please can we see Jughead Jones... he was just-"

"Charged with murder." The man behind his desk finished. He was wearing jeans and a sweater and looked far too young for his age. " You will have to wait a little .. Sheriffs questioning him now, so make your selves comfortable."  The receptionists stated not looking up once form his computer.

All three made their way to the waiting area. Hours had passed before any movement was made in the direction they wanted to go. To him. But sitting here gave Betty a chance to reflect... not on the arrest. She had already dwelled on that far too much, she needed a break. She thought about what he said to her before her was dragged away. He told her he loved her.

And she never said it back...

She was in shock but that was no excuse, he could be sat there wondering how she felt, if she loved him back. Which she did.. so why didn't she say it back? She was scared of being hurt. Loving someone isn't easy, especially if they are locked behind layers of metal . But she loved him and that's all that matters and as soon as she gets the chance she will tell him.

"Visitor for Jughead Jones?" An officer asked looking up from his cork board snapping Betty out of her trance. Archie, Veronica and Betty stood up.

"Nah , only one visitor at a time and he's asked for..." He stared down at his board " Veronica Lodge.."

 Both Betty and Archie were  shocked but not nearly as shocked as Veronica was. It was plausible to ask for his girl friend or best friend in his time of need, but not the friend he tolerates. She looked back at Betty and Archie, almost asking for permission and they both nodded.

"You two" He pointed at Archie and Betty. "Sit down and wait your turn.. Now Miss Lodge if you will follow me." He said guiding a very perplexed Lodge down the hall.

Betty sat back. Feeling her heart being ripped into two. An uncontrollable sadness at the pit of her stomach. A sea of grief drowned her making her feel empty and misunderstood.

He didn't want to see her.

Why of all people wouldn't he want to see her, his girlfriend ? Some one who has been with him from the very start. Someone who can help him get out here. Someone who loves him with all his heart.

Before she had chance to finish her thought, chatter and flashing grew louder and greater from out side. She could hear the reporters mumbles and the sirens.

Then.. the door opened. Pushing in a middle aged man with a serpent jacket hung proudly on his back. It was F.P Jones with his hands behind his back being taken straight past them into a cell along with his son.

Like Father like son, either way the both Jones were in a lot of trouble.