Chapter Fifty

"Jughead.." Betty sighed, the only time she didn't wasn't to see him, he turns up. The countless nights prior she had tried to see him, he had been busy.

"How much of that did you hear?" Toni pressed before Jughead could answer. H stood awkwardly, leaning against the old oak, the cool breeze sending his unwieldy curls into orbit. His lanky arm rubbed the back of his neck in discomfort. Betty spied the clunky black jacked and the absence of his classic crowned beanie, he must of been with the Serpents between his mini eves dropping session and their argument.

"Most of it..." Jughead replied, his eyes did not address her though. His gaze belonged to Betty, whom he never took his eyes off of. He stared into her emerald green eyes, his stormy pair full of regret and mystery.

"Well this just made things a lot more complicated..." Toni sung to herself whilst beginning to pace. Betty tried to break the ongoing staring battle between herself and her boyfriend, but every time she pulled away, like a drug her eyes wanted more, pulling her gaze back to meet his.

"Betty?" He croaked out, his voice was ruff yet vulnerable. 

She looked away, hearing his voice hurt her. It felt like she was the one hurting him. Toni began ranting away in the back ground, but tot he two amateur journalists it was dround out . Fading into a far off noise, like static, black noise. He jacket looked loose on his thin body, like it was no longer made for him. Like something else would be a better fit, like Bettys body as he embraced her into a relieving hug.

She rested her head into his chest, he breathed a sigh of relief. His hands gripped tightly around her body, holding tight as if she might float away. Life around them stopped, the world only home Betty and Jughead. For them few seconds, in their little bubble, everything seemed fine.

That was until Toni's shrill voice snapped them out of their day dream.

"Are either of you even listening to me?" Betty looked up, still enclosed in his warm , safe embrace. 

"What?" Betty mumbled, her mind in pieces.

"This is bad. I have to leave." Betty snapped up at the final statement, regaining full consciousness.

"Wait, why?" Betty asked dethatching herself from Jughead.

"Another member if this town knows.. everything. Every crime I committed, every lie I told... that's not something I can have hanging over my head." Toni said sadly, gesturing towards her head.

Betty nodded understandingly. She still didn't know how she felt about the entire situation. About Toni. Her mind was divided in two. On one hand she was her sister, the sibling she had spent months searching for, dreaming for. She could be the one to finally give Toni the family she deserves. But she still was responsible for her fathers death, even though Betty recognises that it wasn't her fault (initially), that didn't make the pain and ache fade away.

"When do you leave?" Betty asked avoiding her sisters presence.

"Between now and tomorrow morning." She answered honestly.

"Oh.." The simple letters escaped her mouth, her mind not possessing the capability to construct a functioning sentence.

"But this doesn't have to be goodbye.." She uttered optimistically, her voice suddenly full of promise.

Betty looked up , her face confused, tear track visible diverting down her cheeks.

"My offer still stands..." She continued taking Bettys hands in hers. "Come with me." She said, a sad smile growing across her face, the hint of hope was gleaming in her eyes.