Chapter five

~~~~~~~~~~~2 weeks later~~~~~~~~

It had been two weeks. Two weeks since the incident. Two weeks since he was dragged into that room. Two weeks since she admitted her feelings and two weeks since she first found it hard to breathe.

Kara spent most of her time at the DEO, doing her Supergirl duties but mostly to visit him. She couldn't even measure the countless hours she spent by his bedside just watching him, talking to him and occasionally running her fingers along the side of his face. The only time she wasn't at the DEO was when she had to work at CatCo or when Alex forced her to go home and sleep. But she'd be lying if she said she had been able to sleep since he went comatose. Truth be told, her many restless nights were spent thinking about him. Him and his goofy smile and carefree attitude.

Kara never knew one person could have such an effect on her. Just being away from him, not physically but mentally was driving her insane. She was more easily annoyed and always ready to snap at anyone who unnecessarily ticked her off. She remember snapping at Alex just for bringing her powdered donuts instead of crullers, her favorite. She knew everyone noticed her frustration but refrained from saying anything just out of understanding for the situation.
Ugh, this was all Mon-el's fault she thought. If he would just wake up, she wouldn't have to be so cold all the time. She could go back to being her cheery self and he could go back to saying stupid things where she would happily correct him.

Kara had just finished her day at CatCo. She dropped onto her couch exhaustedly. She was just about to head to the DEO when she got a call from Alex.

"Hello?" she answered.
"Kara get over here now!" Alex said sounding extremely frantic.
Kara immediately hung up and flew at top speed to the DEO.
As she landed on the balcony, Alex ran up to her, with a saddened look on her face.
"Alex, what the hell is going on?" Kara questioned.
" It's Mon-el...." Alex answered.
" Is he awake?" Kara asked suddenly hopeful.
"No... the doctors say that if he were to show any changes he would have done so by now." Alex responded.
" So? That doesn't mean he isn't going to wake up." Kara muttered.
" Kara, that's not what they think..." Alex said slowly as if she was scared Kara would bite her head off.
"Alex, what are you saying?" Kara questioned.
"Kara, they want to disconnect the machines. They want to take him off of the life support....." Alex trailed on.

Kara felt her heart stop. They wanted to kill him? To give up on him? Just like that? Was the situation that hopeless? Were the chances of him recovering that low? No. No. NO. She would not allow it. She had to stop them. She couldn't just let them take the person that she loved from her. She couldn't. She wouldn't.

Kara bypassed Alex and headed straight to the med bay despite Alex's protests. The two doctors who had been caring for Mon-el for the last two weeks were in a deep discussion right outside the doors. She marched straight up to them ready to set them straight.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" she shouted, her voice rough.
"Kara, we're doing what we think is best." the first doctor replied.
"You mean involuntarily killing him by disconnecting the machines? How is that what's best?!!!" she yelled.
"He has shown no progress over the course of the last two weeks. It's a lost cause. It isn't feasible to keep the machines running. We will just be preventing the inevitable." the second doctor calmly answered.

"What kind of doctor are you?" Kara challenged.
"Kara...." Alex warned.
"NO! I won't allow this! You don't just give up on someone just because they may have only 1% chance of recovering. You keep hoping and you keep fighting. " she continued her speech.
"Let me ask you something doctors. If that were someone that you cared about lying on that bed right now, if it were someone you loved, would you make the same decision?" she asked with a sudden venom to her tone.
Both doctors remained silent.
" That's what I thought. You are not taking him off of the life support and that's final! Do you understand me?" she spat.
" I'm afraid it's not up for discussion. A decision has already been made and there's nothing you can do about it." the first doctor replied.

"Just watch me." Kara said as she made her way to the doors of the med bay and stood her ground firmly with her arms crossed.
"Anyone who wishes to turn these monitors off will have to get past me first!" she shouted.
"Kara... " Alex began but she got cut off.
"No Alex, if they wanna kill him they are going to have to kill me first." she said.
Then she turned to the doctors who wore nothing but shocked expressions on their faces.
" And I assure you, the only way you will be getting to him is over my dead body." she threatened.

"Kara, we don't want to hurt you." they said simultaneously.

"I'd like to see you try." she fired back with a dead serious look on her face.

Alex swore, if looks could kill then those doctors would have been dead by now.

"What the hell is going on here?" Jon asked as he approached the med bay with a confused look on his face.

"Those doctors of yours want to disconnect Mon-el's life support. They want to inadvertently kill him." Kara spat, with her arms still crossed.

"Doctors?" Jon asked.

"Sir, with all due respect, we are wasting our time and resources. It's a lost cause. The amount of energy being used to sustain him because of  his alien genetics is affecting the overall power output of the entire DEO mainframe." they said.

"You listen to me. No one is to go near those machines unless it is to provide any medical aid to the patient. That is an order. Do I make myself clear?" he responded.

The doctors said nothing at first. But they quickly nodded before they walked off.

Kara breathed a sigh of relief.
"Thank you Jonn." she said as she gave him a quick hug.

"There is no thanks necessary Kara, I'm not gonna take a life that we can save just because me might have to pay a higher electricity bill." he said.

"Do you need me for any mission Jonn?" she asked.

"When I do I'll let you know" he said as he walked off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You know for a second there, I actually thought you might heat vision those doctors." Alex said.

"Well, you thought right. I was thinking about it." Kara laughed as she said.

"I'll see you later, I got knife practice in five." Alex told her.

As Kara waved at her, she could swear she heard her say something else but it was probably just her imagination.

"Kara.." she heard again but there was no one around and she was sure she wasn't using her super hearing.

"Kara." she heard someone mutter.

She froze. She knew that voice anywhere. As she looked through the glass wall of the med bay she saw the last person she thought would call her name again. She could've swore she saw his hand twitch. But then again that's what she wanted to see. Him awake and smiling at her. Maybe she just wanted to hear the sound of his voice again so badly that her mind was playing  tricks on her. But she couldn't help but feel like she wasn't imagining things this time.

Just as she was about to walk away, she heard it.

"Kara!"

"Mon-el?" she muttered in disbelief.