Chapter forty-three

Mon-el's leg was bouncing repeatedly as he sat on the sofa waiting for Eliza to come back. The more seconds that passed, the more second thoughts he had about coming here.

"Here you go sweetie." Eliza said as she handed him a glass of lemonade.

" Oh. Um, thank you Dr. Danvers." he said startled as he gently took the glass in his hands.

" This is delicious." he grinned.

" Of course it is. I made it after all. And please call me Eliza." Eliza smiled.

" Right." he answered awkwardly.

" So, what is it that you came here to ask me?"

" Well, you see....." he began.

" Does the DEO need some help with a new case? A new disease perhaps?" she interrupted.

"Um. No. Oh, thanks for saving my life after that first one though. I'll be forever grateful." he praised.

" Sweetie, there's no thanks necessary." she said.

" Um. That's not why I'm here."

Eliza looked confused as she waited for him to explain.

" It.....It's about Kara." he muttered.

" What about her? Is she okay?" Eliza looked worried.

"No, she's fine. She's probably at work right now." he scratched his head nervously.

" Then what is it?" she pressed.

" Well, you see, recently I've been studying up on earthly customs as there is quite a lot of important elements involved when attempting to do what it is I am........"

" And what exactly are you trying to do?" Eliza smiled widely as she realized what his plans were.

" I'm going to ask her to marry me." he confessed.

Eliza smiled.

" I knew it! From the second you showed up at my door looking like you were about to pass out from nervousness! " she laughed.

" Wait, you knew? " he asked.

" Why do you think I brought you the lemonade sweetie? You needed it!" she joked.

" So is that all you came here to tell me?" she questioned him expecting more.

" No, well, social cues say that the guy should get the permission of the girl's parents. So that's why I'm here. To ask for your blessing." he gulped his lemonade nervously.

"Mon-el, of course you have my blessing. You make my daughter happier than she's ever been. Why would I say no?" she said kindly.

" But can I ask, are you absolutely sure you're ready for such a huge step?"

" There's not a lot of things that I'm sure of. But the one thing I do know, is that I love her. I've never felt like this about anyone in my life before. And I've never felt it more than I have these past few days with her. And I think it's time that I show her that." he smiled.

" Well I'm glad Kara has finally found her someone special. She's had to deal with a lot. She deserves someone like you to make her happy."

"Oh my gosh, we'll have to start making wedding invitations and booking a caterer!!" Eliza rambled.

" Whoa.......I haven't even asked her yet!" Mon-el stopped her.

" Sorry, I got a little over excited. So have you figured out how you're going to do it?" she smiled sweetly.